“Real Chinese in Durham.”
Review of China Palace

China Palace
Ranked #461 of 771 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Greensboro
“Real Chinese in Durham.”
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Just enjoyed another delicious meal from China Palace. Staff is friendly and appreciates our stumbling attempts at Chinese "please" and "thank you." They accomodate my allergies and adjust foods accordingly. This is not your standard Anericanized Chinese so if that's what you are looking for avoid the teaditional Chinese menu (they have two menus) that has many pungent unusual flavors. The atmisphere is casual/family (not upscale fancy).

1 Thank JessNC

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Authentic, And A Little Inconsistent”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

The authentic menu here is definitely worth ordering from if you like spicy Szechuan dishes prepared the way they should be. The normal American Chinese dishes are available, but are simply like those found at most Chinese restaurants.

The place isn't much to look at inside or out, and it can be hectic when crowded with the service a little spotty, but if you like spice, this restaurant will deliver. The really good items are in the "Palace Magic" menu section.

Their Dan Dan Noodles, or Noodles w/ Szechuan Style Meat Sauce , is an excellent version, with plenty of heat - and they will adjust the heat to your taste. This is a very good dish, not quite as good as at Super Wok, but good.

The Beef with Chili Peppers & the Spicy Dry Tofu with Shredded Pork are both nice and fiery. For some less intense dishes, try the Scallion Pancake and the Special Spiced Duck ( half or whole). They have both a nice looking Cantonese Roast Duck and a steamed spare rib in black bean sauce dish that requires 2 days notice - gotta try them. And they have a number of special items available only on the weekends.

Like almost every restaurant in general, and Chinese restaurants in particular, this one struggles from time to time with the consistency of the quality and composition of their dishes. This is most often found in the noodle dishes, and the stir fries - the Beef w/ Chili Peppers is an example - the balance between the amount of beef and the amount of chilies can vary rather significantly from meal to meal.

Having said that, I like the food here, and can live with the more minor problems that occasionally arise.

1 Thank Fred B
Sanford, North Carolina
“Read other reviews and I vote "yes" try it for yourself!”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Here are the items I have eaten on my last few recent visits to China Palace: hot and sour soup, chicken wings, egg roll, chicken with garlic sauce (even though it was not on the menu), and Mongolian chicken (not on menu). All have been on the higher end for Chinese food in this area. When I ask for different combinations of items and things that are not on the menu, I always get a yes. The staff seems to always want to help. I was in a hurry one day, called ahead and placed an order for them to have ready for me when I arrived. Got there 15 minutes later, walked in, and told them I called ahead, and was seated at a table that had my meal waiting for me! It saved me from being late. SO, even if I one day get a 'not so good meal’ from here, I would try it again because my good has out weighed the bad. Plus, I have CONFIDENCE that the friendly staff would try to correct whatever I had a complaint about.

1 Thank CoolbreezeNC
Durham, North Carolina
“Best Authentic Chinese... Period!”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

This place rocks! They've got two menus... one with the "americanized" dishes you recognize and the authentic menu that is full of wonderful tasty treats... some you may have heard of and some you may not have heard of.

The Sesame Chicken is the best i've ever had. Be sure to check to see which green veggie is in season and order that... it's always a treat. You want hot/spicy? They'll do it right. Want something that doesn't burn... just as good.

The staff is always very friendly and helpful.

This place is a home run every time we visit... and we visit a lot.

They also do takeout and delivery.

Alice, WE LOVE YOU!

1 Thank jphite
NC
“How do you spell inconsistent?”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

About two months ago, I was near the China Palace – I was hungry – and I heard that it was a good place to order Chinese food. And it was delicious. I started with a nicely balanced sweet and sour soup, followed by the China Palace Special with beef, chicken and shrimp that was served with perfectly done fresh vegetables in a savory brown sauce. The tea was freshly brewed.

But the experience is the second time was a bit like going to a sequel for a movie you loved and being sadly disappointed. I had the same meal (cause I liked it so much first time) with very different results. The soup was again supposed to be hot and sour. Well – they got the sour down pretty well, but little else. I just started eating my soup when the entrée was put down next to me. So it was decision time – do I eat the mediocre soup and let the rest of the meal cool, or do my give up on the soup? This time the fried rice had peas that were no longer green, but had a whitish cast to them – either freezer burn or just plain old. The meats in the meal were tough and overcooked. The tea was hot and bitter.

Will I go back – probably not. I can go to many other restaurants in Durham without returning to a place with poor food and poor service.

• Visited April 2012

Been to China Palace? Share your experiences!