“Football stadium with a small town feel”

Wallace Wade Stadium
Ranked #21 of 87 things to do in Durham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The Wallace Wade Stadium is the home of the University of Duke football team. The stadium itself is located adjacent to the more famous Cameron Indoor Arena where the basketball teams play. Given that Duke is a basketball school, it shows in the size and atmosphere of the Wallace Wade Stadium. It is smaller than most other Division I schools that I've been to with a little less than 34,000 seats. Seating is in a horseshoe with one end having no seats.

Getting to the stadium can be difficult for the general public. The parking lots are a good distance away and there are no directions on how to get to the stadium. You will need to follow others and hope that they know where they are going. However it only costs $10 to park which could always be worse. You can purchase parking passes for closer lots, but don't know how much or how to obtain one.

The atmosphere inside the stadium was good. Given its small size it never got really that loud. However the local fans seemed to get into the game, particularly when Duke started pulling away against a ranked team. I was surprised with the variation of food options for such a small stadium. I didn't try any, but could find almost everything that would fit my needs. The funnel cake seemed to be the most popular option amongst the fans.

The only minor issue was the usher whose attitude showed that she really didn't want to be there. She was supposed to be helping people find their seats, but when I asked her only response was a head nod. I had to press her for which side was best to get to my seat. This was probably an isolated incident and wouldn't hold it against the stadium.

If you are looking for something to do on a Saturday and like football, I would recommend going to the Wallace Wade Stadium. The fans were into the game and you could feel safe bringing your kids to the game.

1  Thank wbullseye
in 18 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 7 reviews

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I pick up tickets from an internet website, such as Stubhub, as I can usually buy them for less than face value. The visitor parking is a bit of a walk, but it is acceptable. I try to select certain games where I know Duke will at least be competitive. Wake Forest, Virginia, and whichever FCS team they are playing, are usually good choices. The stadium itself is modest, but it is a pleasant place to watch a game. It is a place where I would feel comfortable taking my family to watch a game.

1  Thank Docky B

Been to Wallace Wade Stadium? Share your experiences!