“Awesome afghan!”

Bread & Kabob
Ranked #309 of 782 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We're so glad to have this awesome afghan buffet back after a couple of years out of commission while the owners tried a go with a sports bar.

Eggplant Friday is great, and don't miss the red hot sauce.

Reviewed December 13, 2011

The kabobs are really good and the prices are fantastic. They also have these pastry filled little pies that are to die for. I say visit Bread & Kabob!

Reviewed July 23, 2011

I have been going to 1013 West for about 2 years. About 2 months ago the owner wanted to be something other than another bar in downtown Durham. He changed the name from 1013 West Main Street to "Bread & Kabob". I have eaten there 3 times since the menu change and the food is improved from the "bar food" it used to serve. The buffet is about $7 or $8, and although there are not too many choices, the food is very good (mostly Indian Style), and the bread really is good. I always thought the owner was Greek, but he said he wanted to change the menu to be Afghan style (Is it???--Not sure, I am not that sophisticated). The last time I was there I had the chicken kabob sandwich which was similar to a chicken gyro (good sandwich, but I was hoping for a "side of something" with it for $6.50).

Traditionally "1013" was a bar (alcohol and hookah) and attracted a young clientele from the area and some Duke students, which could be a bit "loud" for the dinner crowd. Now the restaurant is trying to be a place you'd go on a date or take the family. I would not go here on a first date, but I think your adventurous girlfriend/boyfriend will enjoy the Indian/Greek ("Afghan?") food.