“Hey the shrimp and grits”

Bennett Pointe Grill
Ranked #102 of 804 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Actually the whole menu is good, but they have awesome seafood. And it's not the typical fried calabash style you get at most seafood ppl laces in NC. Great wait staff, plus a fully stock bar. If in Durham, definite out check it out.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Have to start by saying that Gina our waitress was incredible! She kept the sweet tea flowing, and the Coke's a coming! Thanks again Gina!

Neighborhood local cafe is how I'd sum up the Bennett Pointe Grill. Yes, it is in a strip mall, but heck this is not downtown nor in a mall with corporate owned restaurants. Therefore, plenty of parking, and the Food Lion is next door so you can pick up some milk, or whatever on the way home.

Started off with chili topped nachos, quite tasty with black beans. I would prefer standard tortilla chips versus the black and red ones. Although it makes the plate colorful. Huge portion with jalapenos and sour cream on the side. My friend's chicken marasol was very tasty with sun dried tomatoes. I had the Mahi Mahi (dolphin) special, topped with shrimp. Nice size piece of fish with a dark honey and ginger sauce. Very delicious. My plate included a rice pilaf and quick sauteed vegetables. Only $16.50

We'll be back.

1  Thank SWDurham
Reviewed May 10, 2013

...but it just didn't compare favorably to Carolina Coffee Shop's pot roast [in Chapel Hill]. Service was friendly and attentive, but the food wasn't flavorful like reeeeeal Southern cooking.

We found a tastier and thriftier meal just down the road where the chicken and dumplings were mouth wateringly delicious [at Libby's Too]. We're comparing apples to apples so don't expect Nana's, Carolina Crossroads, or the old Magnolia Grill.

Would I recommend Bennett's? Not for those prices.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I hadn’t been to the Bennett Pointe Grill for a couple years as it never seemed worth the trip for very ordinary food. Last week my friend suggested we have our monthly dinner there, and I agreed.

When I walked in, the décor was as I remembered from a few years ago. Mostly a few “older” men and women were at the tables – it wasn’t crowded. I was somewhat surprised when the hostess asked if we wanted a table in the bar when there were so many empty tables in the dining area. We declined and were promptly seated in the dining area. Our waitress was cordial and not intrusive.

We opted to have a dinner of appetizers and ordered the Chicken Nachos and Spinach Crab Dip. The nachos were okay, but lacked nicely melted cheese – instead a rather bland shredded cheese was put onto the nachos when they were heated. The dip was ‘interesting’. Neither one of us liked it – it didn’t taste spoiled, but it didn’t taste good. Instead of being served with crusty bread or crackers, it was served with relatively large, very lightly toasted – and still soft - sour dough bread. Not ideal for dipping. That dish definitely gets a thumbs down.

The price point isn’t very high, but the food quality is mediocre. I hate dining out and knowing I could have prepared dishes that were much more satisfying at home. If you are really hungry and there is no other place to go, Bennett Pointe Grill is an option. Otherwise, try some other place.

1  Thank LJKNc
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Ate here for lunch and found the food totally unremarkable. The service was okay and the atmosphere is rather poor. This is a don't bother kind of place.