“Ok but Not Great”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
San Diego, California
“Ok but Not Great”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Went to this restaurant with a group of about a dozen people. The service was really good, especially since we were a larger party. However, the food was nothing to write home about. Several of the meals were cold, the food was bland and dry. About the only good thing about the food was there were a couple vegetarian items on the menu and one vegan item and since we had 2 vegetarians in our group they could find something to order. The vegan combination was an odd mix of things you wouldn't normally put together and it included a salad with cheese on it. There has to be a better restaurant somewhere in the area and we'll find it next time.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank J D

Durham, North Carolina
“Excellent Greek Cuisine!”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My wife and I dined at Spartacus Monday afternoon, September 23. It was not our first time and we always enjoy it. This time we had their lunch buffet, which is always excellent, everything from fresh salads and soups to Greek-style beef and chicken and other selections. We try to eat at Spartacus at least once a month, you get excellent food and service and a very reasonable price. Parking is never a problem and the decor has an earthy Greek motif. We strongly recommend Spartacus Restaurant, some of the best food in the Triangle!

• Visited September 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
“Not going back ever again!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I've eaten here several times, mostly lunch buffet. If you are going for the buffet, I suggest going early (shortly after it is put out). This last visit was late afternoon and you could definitely tell that the food had been out there on the buffet for 5-6 hours. The boiled shrimp was not iced down and was slimy and rancid. I told our waiter and then watched him. He never mentioned my complaint to management.

Then we noticed the tablecloth at the table next to us, tattered with strings hanging down. Went really well with the obnoxious decor throughout the restaurant.

The next thing to catch our eyes was the double doors leading from the dinning area to the kitchen. It was filthy - on par with the worst gas station restroom door I've ever seen. Made me shutter to think what the kitchen itself might possibly look like. Chef Ramsey would probably lose it if he did his show here. I am literally scared (for health reasons) to eat here again!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank J0hn_W436
North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not at all worth the time $$ - even with a coupon”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We were in Durham last light for a dance performance at DPAC and, since we really like Greek food, decided to use one of our Entertainment book coupons to try Spartacus. Should have really taken the time to read these reviews!! While the service was quite good, the food was mediocre at best.
In fact, the only really enjoyable thing was my husband's cocktail - a Raspberry Veranda.
That was one of the most refreshing & perfectly blended cocktails we've had in a long time.
We would agree that the mixed platter appetizer platter left a good bit to be desired - greasy spanikopita and dried out meats. My husband's "greek" salad was minus both olives and feta. We had the specials - lamb shank (normally one of my husband's very favorite dishes) and swordfish. The shank had very little flavor and the swordfish was really overcooked.
Will definitely NOT GO BACK!!

• Visited July 2013
Durham, North Carolina
“You got me once, You'll never get me again!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I tried Spartacus in Durham,NC. On June 30, 2013.
Lets see, the food was not good. By this I mean, the hot items were room temp and dry.
I didn't like the buffet setup at all, the warmers were not functioning correctly and the food overall tasted sub par.
I ordered iced tea and for some reason the waitress only servered me sweet tea(no ice).
Not to meantion, the price for buffet and a sweet tea was $19.00.
I will never go back and never recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited June 2013