“Not quite the Agean Sea”
Review of Spartacus Restaurant - CLOSED

Spartacus Restaurant
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The quality of the buffet has declined during the past two years. It is acceptable for a quick lunch, but the food was warmer and better prepared last year.

The menu selections are better, but somewhat pricey for the area.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

20 ft long buffet table filled with all kinds of choices from Mac and cheese to build-your-own Greek salad. Karen, our server, was awesome. She was quick to replinish anything on the buffet that was low and friendly to boot. Not often I see the combined good work and a friendly smile. Two for lunch with two drinks with tax was only $25.00 and change. Needless to say I left a good tip!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We read the positive reviews, looked at the menu and tried this place Saturday night.
No part of the meal was good.
The combination appetizer was a collection of tough chicken chunks that had been smothered in a salty seasoning, oddly flavored pork and some soggy spinach and cheese pies.
Even the salads that arrived before the entrees were awful. After picking out the pieces of wilted lettuce, the herb-and-lemon-laden vinaigrette and bitter kalamata olives prevented any pleasure.
The entrees were horrible. The mixed grill was the same collection of bad meats from the combination appetizer. The stuffed chicken breasts were atrocious. The oily spinach and feta stuffing tasted old. They could not have been fresh. The bizarre teriyaki glaze atop the chicken was out of place. The pastitsio was runny and disgusting. The pasta casserole is supposed to be served as a solid block, but at Spartacus, it oozed over the plate like watery macaroni and cheese. The taste of nutmeg was overwhelming.
Everyone ate about a third of their dish. The waiter asked how everything was.
I have this Southern gentleman gene which prevents me from complaining about meals at restaurants. It may be a failing, but the standard rule is not to rock the boat, pay the bill and learn the lesson. But this meal was so bad, I was moved to tell the waiter it wasn't good. He apologized.
My gene prevented me from escalating this to a manager and asking for some kind of consideration in light of our bad experience, so we paid the $70. It should be noted that the waiter offered nothing after hearing our complaints and taking the mostly unfinished dishes back to the kitchen.
It was a Saturday at 7 p.m. The restaurant was 20 percent full. Durham apparently has identified the real Spartacus, and it's keeping its distance.
Suggestion: Go to Taverna Agora in Raleigh for a better meal, better atmosphere and better value.

1  Thank jason s
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have gone to Spartacus many times before but will never go again after tonight. It was as if we were on Punked or some other undercover show about horrible experiences. Our waiter, I believe his name was Landy, made the experience unforgettable (and not in a good way). He was rude and intolerant. He made us feel badly about asking for anything. I've never had a meal where I've wondered if it has been spit in or messed with. Landy expressed his discontent with coupons to multiple tables (I'm sorry, but your restaurant offers tons of coupons in multiple forms of media). It's really too bad. We liked this place until tonight and will now be looking for a new favorite.

1  Thank TarheelDoc
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I bought a Groupon as part of our anniversary trip to Durham. We had to postpone our trip and won't be going until 2 days after the Groupon expires. I called and asked for a 2 day extension, but they wouldn't do it for us. I understand that my Groupon would still be worth the amount I paid, but that still doesn't help very much. I'm grateful that Groupon and the Millennium Hotel are more gracious.