“Great Pub!”

Ranked #217 of 789 Restaurants in Durham
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed January 14, 2013

It's hard to go wrong at the West 94th St. Pub in Durham. This is a great place for burgers, sandwiches, plus they have soups, chili, quesadillas, fish and chips and general pub fare. The brew list is small but pleasing and offers several local and regional micro brews as well as the old standbys. Wednesday night is trivia night and, in the summer months, live music is provided on Saturday evenings, out doors. The Pub is wonderful for a quick lunch or just kicking back and enjoying a brew or two while watching various sporting events on one of the several wide screen TVs. This is a real favorite and has been for a long time.

Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Seems to be a favorite of some hard smoking/drinking locals ... not altogether a bad thing in a pub. But pub grub needs to be good food at reasonable prices. Here they miss the mark. And the service, while not surly, was less than great or even friendly. Oh, and the waitress overcharged our credit card by $600, and although she reversed it, she didn't tell us and a fraud alert hold was placed on the card. The $8 burger was small and attended by precious few fries. The $12.95 shrimp were as paltry as the fries. We really wanted to like this place but won't be back in spite of their nice beer selection.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

My family and I have developed a fondness for this place tucked away in the Woodcroft shopping plaza.

It is particularly nice in good weather. Outdoor seating is a big plus. There is not a lot of traffic or noise and the pub has a very neighborhood feel to it -- lots of regulars.

The service team is always very helpful and handles us well. We appreciate their attention to detail.

The food is pub food, but good overall. They have good burgers, my parents love the steak sandwich, and I have enjoyed all the good I have eaten there.

The beer menu is good and it is pleasant to kick back and enjoy a couple while catching up on everyone's days.

Reviewed December 30, 2011

My husband and I went to this restaurant with a coupon for $10 off. Presented to our server, no problem, no attitude. Our server went out of her way to find a tea bag so I could have hot tea, something they clearly don't serve very often. She could have easily just said they don't serve tea but did not. She was attentive without being overbearing.

But first, upon entering this pretty small and intimate pub you could immediately tell it was a neighborhood watering hole. People were talking to each other and kind of bunched together. It gave off the feeling of friendliness. Pub is older and rustic and looks just like a pub should. Menu was varied and prices reasonable. My husband had fish and chips which came with three big pieces of fish, homemade slaw and chips. I had the shrimp BLT. In both entrees, the fish was cooked just right and the slaw was perfect. With the two entrees, two beers and a glass of wine the bill was under $45, before the coupon. We will definitely go here again.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

A strip center bar with character? Yep. It's not quite a dive bar, but it's close. Every time I go there, it seems there are a couple of old guys at one end of the bar who appear to be on the edge of fossilizing in their seats. Sometimes there's this vibe that you're the only one who doesn't know everybody else, but it's certainly not unfriendly.

The food is much better than you would expect, especially the great wings. But it's mostly about the beer. The selection isn't huge, but everyone should be able to find some acceptable suds. I have had a problem a couple of times, though, with the draft beer not being as cold as I would like.

The bartenders are upbeat and attentive. There's greenery and strand lights around the bar overhang, so it's like eternal Christmas. They also seem to be busy no matter the time of day. Occasionally you run across some clientele who are a whisper away from sketchy, but that's all part of the fun.

For an interesting contrast, do a pub crawl with this place and City Beverage across the street.