“a fine local Italian eatery”
Review of Pulcinella's

Pulcinella's
Ranked #89 of 789 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The people are lovely, the decor is 'neighborhood", the ambiance is exactly what it should be, the food is excellent, the bread is outstanding and the dressing for the (ordinary lettuce) salad is excellent. if you want Italian food anywhere in a 20 mile radius (walking) or 40 mile radius (driving) this is the place. the wine list is small, but adequate, and several of the wines on offer are quite good. dishes such as chicken parm are served with a side of pasta - and the pasta sauce is ordinary, but the sauce on the main dish is quite good.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Nice Italian resto with an authentic approach to food. Our favorites are the fresh rolls and house dressing!!! Big servings so make sure you come hungry, otherwise, share a plate with someone!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is a great little spot for lunch.

We showed up around 12:30 and chose a booth near the front. They were busy but we got our food in a timely manner.

My lunch-mate ordered the Pollo al Ferri salad, which came with marinated chicken, strips of provolone cheese, and choice of dressing. It looked good, and he was very happy with it. He cleaned his plate.

I ordered the lasagna. That's how I test an Italian restaurant. If I don't like the sauce, I won't be back. Well, the tomato sauce was OK. It was borderline sweet, but I -think- it came from the natural sweetness of the tomatoes they used instead of added sugar ... so it gets a pass from me. The meat in the lasagna was delicious. It was a rather generous portion so I took the leftovers home for a midnight snack.

It's nothing fancy (and I mean that as a good thing). They've got a nice home-y atmosphere and everyone we encountered was very friendly. I'm in the area every couple of months for a business meeting so I'm putting this on my "Lunch Rotation".

I'll be back!

2  Thank Dgtl1
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

We are proud "damn Yankees" that love real Italian and this place reminds us of the family run Italian restaurants we grew up with in Chicago and Boston. So happy to find this place! Excellent for families, kids, and singles! If you're looking for REAL homemade Italian, go here! You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We tried Pulcinella's for the first time last night and we had a wonderful meal! The pizza was great, the bread was delicious, and the wine was perfect. The meal reminded us of our meal in Naples so this was a treat.