“Worst Mongolian buffet I've ever been to. Overpriced for having such poor selection. I was not at all impressed. The...”
Review of Bali Hai

Bali Hai
Ranked #391 of 780 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Large groups
Good for: Large groups
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Worst Mongolian buffet I've ever been to. Overpriced for having such poor selection. I was not at all impressed. The plus side is that it was clean and good service.

There are newer reviews for Bali Hai

Reviewed March 23, 2010

The Bali Hai in Raleigh is great, the one is Durham is the complete opposite. I had a problem with my dinner-the waitress brought me the wrong plate after it had been cooked. So I had to fix new bowls while everyone else at my table ate and this was lunch so I was on a time constraint. It took another 30 minutes to cook my food even though they said I would be first on the grill. When I handed the tray to the manager to put on the grill he just glared at me and left it sitting on the counter for 5 minutes even though the grill was half full. So, I had to get it to go but I tasted it before I left and it still wasn't right. I asked for curry and there wasn't a speck of curry in my dish. When I went up to the register to pay I brought all this up to the manager. He didn't apologize, say he was sorry for my trouble or anything. He just barked the price at me. I paid and he didn't say thank you, have a nice day or anything. I was amazed at the rudness of him. Here I am a paying customer with a problem no less that I have been patient for, and he is treating me like dirt on the bottom of his shoe. I will never go back here.

2  Thank pantherfan2009
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 1, 2009

AVOID.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 22, 2009

My first impression of Bali Hai is the raw food bar is awfully small. It doesn't look half as big as the Mongolian grill restaurants I used to go in California. There were about maybe 7-8 kinds of raw veggies to choose from, and 3 kind of meat (beef, pork, turkey) at the raw bar. If you want seafood or even noodles, you have to pay extra for it.

After piling your bowl full of the ingredients, you give it to the cook who will add the sauces as he cooks it up. You have a choice of white or fried rice to go with it. You are given a ticket that you indicate what kind of sauce you want and how spicy you want it. Overall, my food tasted really salty with the house sauce and a bit too spicy for my idea of 2 on a scale of 10 for hotness. The meat and veggies were a bit overcooked.

As far as service goes, the waitress I had was [--]. I asked for more rice since my food was pretty spicy, and she started lecturing me about how I'm suppose to pick a lower number if I wanted less spicy. I told her it's my first time here and she just rolled her eyes and came back with a tiny bowl of rice. Needless to say, I haven't been back since.

2  Thank monkeydoc
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Clarksville, Michigan
Reviewed September 17, 2008

One of the few SPICY places to go in the triangle... Try a 2 bowl combination 10 with curry ... YUM

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook