“Delightful Find”

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed March 28, 2013

While northbound on I85 I craved Chinese food and selected this place from the list on my GPS. I was surprised and encouraged by the location in an old home and went in. I was greeted graciously, quickly seated and began to peruse the extensive menu. Wish I lived closer so I could try more of the items, many of which I had never seen before. The Hot and Sour soup was lighter than you normally encounter and delicious. The Happy Family Hot Pot had a subtle flavour that exactly fit my mood. I was finishing my meal before another non-Asian customer came in. Highly recommended.

There are newer reviews for Hong Kong Chinese Restaurant

Reviewed August 2, 2012

My familly used to eat here a lot on Sundays but it gets really crowded and most people who frequent this place seem not to mind the long wait. Dim sum is always good and I love their shrimp deluxe which rivals that of crispy shrimp served in good Chinese restaurants in big cities. We still eat here during special occasions and order evening take outs . The place is close on Tuesdays. I can't fault the food but service could be slow when they are slammed.

Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

I am not well versed in dim sum but I really enjoyed this place. All the dishes were good or great. If you see the fried crab claw or glazed pork BBQ rolls, I highly recommend it. We went on Sunday at 11am and were seated right away with a group of 6. The parking lot is small but you can park on the residential street down the block if you can't find a space. I was stuffed at the end and we tried a ton of dishes; the bill came to about $10 per person including tip and tax. I'll be back for sure.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Was visiting and staying around the neighborhood. The food was not bad for an American Chinese restaurant. I wasn't crazy about their white rice though. I thought I was eating Play-Doh for a second. Wonton soup was ok. The service and environment were nice. Nothing fancy but not filthy. There were plenty of options on the menu. It's not expensive per se. However, if you look at other restaurants in the neighborhood and what Hong Kong Dim Sum offers. It's a bit pricey. Also they actually have dim sum on a cart on weekends. Try it if you haven't yet.

I could go back if I craved for Chinese food.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

You really have to have eaten at a few mediocre dim sum places over the years to truly appreciate that Durham, NC has a great Dim Sum restaurant. I learned about Dim Sum in Chinatown in Boston, in New York City, in San Francisco.

When I moved back to the Triangle in 1989 I whined about losing access to good Dim Sum, and then my prayers were answered by Hong Kong on Guess Road.

The building is kind of kludgy; the dining rooms have a terrible arrangment. The parking is inadequate, the lines on Saturday and Sunday for Dim Sum tend to be long, the wait is hot, and the service is spotty. Fine, don't come. Please. Really, it will be easier for the rest of us if you don't come.

Once you've had the har gow, the guk char siu bao, the jellyfish salad, the deep fried taro crescents, the sliced boneless roast pork, the chinese broccoli, the sui mai, bbq chicken feet, and many others then you'll understand.

I have eaten there not for dim sum only a couple times. It was fine, but that's not why I'm writing this review.