“great brisket and fried okra”

The Original Q Shack
Ranked #5 of 786 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Don't get the pulled pork unless you like a lot of spices/hot sauce (it's not the vinegar base sauce you expect in NC). The brisket, however, is very good. I especially like their fried okra. They sprinkle some sort of red powder on it (which I don't like) so we always ask for some with just salt. They have no problem making up a fresh batch just for me. It doesn't taste like it starts out as frozen okra.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Q shack has great food all around but it's the brisket that I long for. It comes sliced or chopped. Since I prefer my meat sans sauce, I get the sliced brisket, hold the sauce. The sides are good to great. For example, I think the baked potato casserole is great. The only downside is that parking is scarce.

1  Thank NCJudyG
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a casual barbecue restaurant with delicious food and very quick service. I had the pulled pork plate with 2 sides of creamed spinach and mac 'n cheese. Everything was delicious! My husband really enjoyed his ribs, though he said he prefers the full rack at The Pit due to taste and the size of the portion. They have outside and inside seating, and they serve beer.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Great BBQ, cole slaw, fried okra, mac and cheese. Indoor and outdoor dining. I would highly recommend to anyone.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I'm not a BBQ connoisseur by any means, but I've been to the Q Shack on my last 2 trips to Durham and really like their style. Grab a table outside and enjoy a tasty meal - great family spot, something on the menu for everyone. Amazingly busy, but well organized so the line moves fast. I esp love the chicken and slaw & even can't resist a few hushpuppies too.