“YOU LOST MY BUSINESS”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The Owner Dan has refused requests to provide Handicapped Parking at this location. The lot was recently paved to make more room for more spaces. ALL THE HANDICAPPED spaces were removed. I contacted Dan and was told the location is too busy to reserve parking for anyone. YOU LOST MY BUSINESS and I hope other feel the same way. Your lack of concern for you customers is beyond belief! Eat some where else in Durham!

2  Thank Curtis M

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Was in Durham on a Sun. and wanted to try some NC BBQ. Backyard bbq was closed so we went to Q Shack, another highly rated place. Other than the pulled pork (juicy, lots of flavor) and the smoked chicken wings ( delicious; I should have just stopped there), the meal was disappointing. The brisket was dry and bland. The smoked turkey also fell flat. The sides were forgettable: the fried okra was so salty it was indelible, the cole slaw was too vinegary, the green beans and collard greens tasted like they came out of a can. The hush puppies were dense and chewy.
The service was friendly and the line moves quickly, so don't let a long line scare you.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Took my son here today and got the brisket - chili rubbed etc. Was tender and juicy, but flavorless. Went to add BBQ sauce - 2 bottles of original were at our table. First one came out very watery - at first I thought it was like ketchup that separated, but when I went to shake it, the entire bottle was very watery. What was it? I have no idea. I went to the 2nd bottle and it was the expected thick smoky/sweet sauce.

Hush puppy side was excellent. My potato salad side was not the mustard kind (as I prefer) and was not very cold at all ... a bit unnerving.

My son's BBQ pork tasted pretty good; I had a bit of sauce on there, but I needn't have (as I did with the brisket) because underneath I could detect that eastern Carolina vinegar-based BBQ taste. His onion ring side was very greasy and quite salty in places.

I would go again and focus on the pork BBQ and try a different side. Overall, good to fill you up, but nothing that would get me to recommend it particularly.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

As new residents of North Carolina we took our visiting son from CA to provide an intro to the culinary delights to be offered in our neighborhood. As first time visitors we were very impressed! Heaping portions in the basic sandwich with hushpuppies and an additional side. An unexpectedly good value!

Flexibility abounds: Served in varying quantities; sandwiches or ribs; Eastern or Western NC style of BBQ and eat in or take out. They were even considerate to not put meat on bun for take our so that the bun didn't get soggy!!

Not the most original sauce that I have tasted but still very good. I will certainly go back for the value and the convenience.

Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

We are moving to Durham and had to check out the Original Q Shack. This place has a great vibe. The service was quick and friendly. The covered patio has large fans so it is possible to sit outside on a warm day. The pulled pork is smoked; not quite what I was looking for, but good nonetheless. The hush puppies are heavenly. Take note: the parking is tight so be prepared to wait or park elsewhere and walk.