“City Folk BBQ”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I had been before, but I wanted to go again to make sure it was not an aberration. It was not an aberration. The Q Shack is just average at best. I have had the pulled pork, pulled chicken, and beef brisket, all staples of BBQ along with the mac and cheese and the BBQ baked beans. The meats were all missing something... smoke flavor. I didn't find an ounce of smoke flavor in any of the meats. They tried to make up for that with sauce, but it didn't work. The saving grace for the meats was the fact that the brisket was so tender. It was cooked temperature-wise and length perfectly. The pulled pork and chicken were both full of sauce already and the sauces were weak in flavor, especially the chicken. The pulled pork was too heavy on the vinegar and not on enough red pepper. The sides were just as average. The mac and cheese lacked a cheesy taste and was a little greasy rather than cheesy. The BBQ baked beans were heavy on tangy BBQ sauce rather than a sweet and slightly tangy that I am accustomed to. The hushpuppies were pretty good and probably the best part of the meal. I should have ordered a hushpuppy meal, but I ordered a BBQ meal so I would rate the food as average to poor. The BBQ has what I call, "we can fool city folk" taste.

1  Thank iTravel4life
There are newer reviews for The Original Q Shack

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Sorry but the BBQ you'll find in the Q shack is tailored to fast food. The cole slaw for starters is pretty awful. The amount of mayo in the potato salad is borderline heartstopping but better tasting than the slaw. The pork BBQ is simply unimpressive in any form. I understand that it's difficult to keep it moist throughout the day but that's a challenge for even the best of fast food BBQ joints. The chicken wings are the only saving grace of this place. I've had the brisket, sausage, hotdog, and chopped beef and each of them are "OK". Don't get me wrong, the Q shack isn't bad, it's just not a place i would bring an out of towner. My inlaws recently relocated from Columbus and attempted to find some good ol NC BBQ. Both of them found their meals "meh". Tom is a great owner and a friendly person but i cannot recommend his restaurant. Find a Smithfield's or visit the Pit downtown for excellence

1  Thank tailsock
Reviewed April 28, 2013

One of the best BBQ restaurants in the Triangle area. Portions are large and very tasty, and the ribs in particular are excellent (juicy, smokey, tender, and not very fatty). The menu and drink selection (including beer) are very good. Dining is very casual; indoor and outdoor seating is available. Though a bit off the major highways, the restaurant is worth the extra drive if you're not in the immediate area.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Oh man, this was some down home BBQ...if you are in Durham you better go!!!! And it wasn't very expensive either, our party of three ate and drank for $40

Reviewed April 22, 2013

My review update is now for their catering side of things.... recently I hosted a Bridal Shower and got Q Shack to cater my event. It was fantastic! The owner/manager that I dealt with on the phone was incredibly helpful and encouraged us to order the appropriate amounts, even suggesting that I was ordering too much. I found this to be really honest and helpful. He was correct, it WAS too much, but at least we had plenty of leftovers. Everything came packaged safely and was transported without any trouble. I felt like we got a lot for our money and they were the easiest to get into touch with and place the order. I appreciated their suggestions on what food products would keep the tastiest the longest (ie they suggested avoiding the fried okra and hushpuppies for events (such as ours) that were going to be more " all day grazing" than sit down meals since they would get soggy.) Those points were very helpful and I avoided them and was glad I did so.

Overall, everyone really enjoyed the food and kept asking where we got it from. I would recommend Q Shack for any of your tailgating, party, catering needs in the future.