“Logo is Better than the Food”

The Original Q Shack
Ranked #9 of 803 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Twice I tried the location in Crabtree Valley Mall and found the meat to be quite bland, even after adding generous amounts of barbecue sauce.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

The Q Shack is a temple of BBQ. They offer all kinds of delicious treats, from smoked sausages to pulled pork to brisket. We tried it all, with sides like baked beans, slaw, green beans and Texas toast. Delicious. We sat outside on a cement covered patio, with country music playing. The condiments are in bottles in six-pack boxes, and your roll of paper towels for the inevitable mess is right there on a length of pipe.

The brisket was my favorite, which is rare in a state so dedicated to pork. But it was served chopped and hot and delicious on a couple of slices of Texas toast. Thinly sliced pickles were perfect with it. The sausage was my least favorite, I think. It was good but did not have a very intense flavor and just seemed not to have been smoked as long. Still good, but not great.

It was very reasonably priced and clearly very popular with the locals. Free parking and lots of it, It was a real treat.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

The Q Shack is a Durham tradition. One visit easily demonstrates why. Everything at this great landmark is lick your fingers good, from the classic pulled pork to the chicken and specials of the day which may include barbecued ham or turkey. But my great favorite is the beef brisket - wonderfully smoked with a crunchy sweet dark crust that transports the taste buds to paradise. The beef sausage is close behind in its awesome flavor- the teeth crunch through a firm casing into a cornucopia of juicy flavor. Direct from a dark smoker to heaven!

Can you say informal? Picnic tables in and out, rolls of paper towels on pipes, and sauces ranging from sweet and mild to just this side of purgatory!

Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

I have been used to TX style BBQ, so it has been hard for me to find a southern style BBQ that I would like as much. So now I can say I have found that place at the Q - Shack. I love their beef brisket and Turkey. The place is a local faivorat and packed during the lunch time. The place is not fancy at all but the food is soooo good. I have been told "the pit" in Raleigh is very good as well, so I will be trying their food next.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Good barbeque and reasonable prices. I love the ribs and they make good vinegar and tomato based sauces. They also have a new cheddar and Jalapeno sausage that is quite good.