“Good steam-table food, plentiful portions, drab environment”
Review of Jamaica Jamaica

Jamaica Jamaica
Ranked #350 of 770 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Jamaican
Durham, North Carolina
“Good steam-table food, plentiful portions, drab environment”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Very flavorful food but a somewhat overcooked. Definitely "good" and perhaps among the best Jamaican in the area, but not among the best Jamaican I've had. Were it not for the very drab and neglected appearance of the dining area, I probably would have given this four stars.

• Visited December 2013

London
“Delicious food”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My brother picked us up a takeaway (jerk chicken, rice, plantain and patties) all of the food was delicious and a really generous portion.

Will definitely be going back!!

Visited June 2013
Raleigh
“Food trumps atmosphere”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Just had lunch there again today and the quality of the food is still top-notch. Spicy and well prepared, everything is always very tasty. I've sampled quite a few of the dishes by my fave is the jerk chicken with some yellow rice, curry gravy and cooked cabbage. LOVE the hot sauce, too. The atmosphere is, well, austere. It's not perfect, but as the title says, the food always makes it worth the trip. Good value too, awesome lunch and a soft drink for under $10.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Mark B
Mebane, NC
“Food is excellent. Atmosphere is lacking”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Came here late on a Friday evening (about 7pm-ish), after working late. This is a nothing fancy place, where you order your food at the counter, and see the food (i.e. cafeteria style).

The jerk chicken was awesome! I have never been to the island, so not sure how this ranks on authentic Jamaican, but it was as moist and succulent as any chicken I have ever had. Dinner came with two sides and plantains for about $10. It was more chicken than I could eat. I think it was supposed to be 4 pieces, but they gave me 5 pieces because two pieces were on the small side. I did not leave hungry, and brought home enough for lunch the next day.

The two big cons for me were the music on the TV, which was too loud (reggae-rap), and that they had run out of ice (so I was drinking warm pepsi).

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank NorthCarolina621
Center Valley, Pennsylvania
“Make sure you go early”
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Nothing spectacular, but nothing horrible either.

Came a little late for the lunch rush (around 12:30) and it was apparent that I should have came earlier. All that they had left were legs for the jerk chicken. It was tasty, but I'm a white meat kind of girl. The yellow rice was good...the plantains were almost apple sweet.

About $10 for a lunch portion of jerk chicken with rice, a side & a bottle of soda. If I came back, I'd go early so that I could get white meat instead of dark. People were friendly but the decor could use an update.

• Visited November 2010