“So good we went back”
Review of Vin Rouge

Vin Rouge
Reserve with OpenTable
Vin Rouge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 765 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 9th St.
Description: Vin rouge is a French Bistro. We focus on classic preparations served in a true bistro atmosphere. We have beautiful patio and garden areas for those who prefer to dine outside. Please indicate your preference for dining inside or out. We look forward to serving you at Vin Rouge.
Nashville, Tennessee
“So good we went back”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My friend and I decided to try this restaurant after seeing the macaroni gratin featured on Food Network's "The Best Thing I Ever Ate." On our first visit, we went at 5:30 p.m. on a Sunday so that we could take advantage of the prix fixe menu (3 courses for $25). My friend raved about the complimentary tapenade and the salmon-lentil entree and the chocolate mousse; I enjoyed my pate and macaroni (and likewise ordered the mousse). The staff got off to a slow start (they were still sorting out table assignments at 5:45 p.m.) but the servers themselves were great -- non-intrusive but watchful.

We decided to go back the following Sunday -- while we were unable to get an early reservation, we decided it was where we wanted to eat anyway. This time we split an order of escargot and a bottle of Belgian beer; my companion also ordered a glass of sparkling rosé and I had decaf coffee with my lemon tart (which had a caramelized sugar crust, like the kind you find on creme brulee. It was tantalizing seeing the dishes (especially seafood) that the other diners were ordering. The front room is noisier than the back, but I was still able to hear well enough, and the place has a good energy -- friends congregating at the bar, couples out on dates, small celebrations. The steak tartare was fabulous and seasoned just right.

• Visited September 2012

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“A French Bistro in your backyard”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

No need to go to New York City or Paris. Excellent French food is available in Durham at reasonable prices. High quality, and excellent service! Order the prix fixe menu items!!

Visited September 2012
Cary , North Carolina
“Touch of Paris in Durham”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The atmosphere of Vin Rouge reminds me of Paris the minute you walk up to the door. From the yellow awnings to the outdoor tables for alfresco dining. The minute you walk in the door, the wonderful smells and the intimate settings found in a Paris bistro abound from the seating to romantic decor. The food may not be 100% French, however it is close and it is wonderful. My husband and I have had dinner here several times and have never been disappointed. The service ranges from wonderful to just ok but the value of what you get is great. Dining at Vin Rouge is casual and not stuffy and is nothing less than a wonderful experience. I think dining at Vin Rouge could top off a romantic Paris themed weekend "stay-cation". Highly recommend.

• Visited July 2012
Durham, North Carolina
“New to Durham”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Excellent food and atmosphere on a thursday night. Service was good and attentive. We both had NY Strip which was excellent. WIne is not cheap but v good wine list. Overall excellent, we will definitly be back

Visited July 2012
Durham, North Carolina
“Always Excellent--better than being France!!!!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My husband and I eat at Vin Rouge no less than two times per month and it's consistently excellent. Some of my favorites are the frisée aux lardons salad, the french fries (pommes frites), sweetbreads (especially the house special of the evening), shrimp Provençal--authentic and cooked to perfection, and for main course generally we always opt for the house special which is generally some sort of farm-to-table unique dish which leaves us consistently coming back for more. The bartenders, waitstaff and general manager remember us by name and are always incredibly accommodating with little extra touches (I like no ice in my water, and generally enjoy the frisée salad sometimes with some Bibb thrown in). Many of the furnishings are authentic antiques, (some not), but the lighting, atmosphere and side patio garden give the feel of being in France. I've been to France seven times and this restaurant gives a great, authentic experience!!!!!

• Visited May 2012