“Outstanding French food”
Review of Vin Rouge

Vin Rouge
Reserve with OpenTable
Vin Rouge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 782 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 9th St.
Description: Vin rouge is a French Bistro. We focus on classic preparations served in a true bistro atmosphere. We have beautiful patio and garden areas for those who prefer to dine outside. Please indicate your preference for dining inside or out. We look forward to serving you at Vin Rouge.
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I was very pleased with our experience at Vin Rouge. The onion soup was the best I have had, and I am from New Orleans and I traveled to Paris last year. The overall menu was authentic French. Outdoor dining was available. Atmosphere is limited but it is really more like a French street bistro in atmosphere. Cannot wait to return.

Reviewed July 24, 2011

Dinner with 4 couples. One of few restaurants open on Sunday night. Got there at 7 pm- told all "fresh" fish gone. Not sure what this means for high end restaurant, since two other fish dishes still from menu- frozen presumably. So few vegetarian options on menu, and bacon/pork in lots. Waiter laughed at me when I asked about getting a vegetarian plate. For a dinner that costs us 120/ couple, I expect more.

Reviewed June 23, 2011

My dinner was a joy. The menu is modest, but it's supplements by quite a few specials. I ended up ordering from the specials (a local tomato salad and the daily preparation of sweet breads). Both were excellent and modestly priced. The wine (by the glass list) is exclusively French.

The outdoor seating was pleasant (as was the weather).

Worth a trip if you are in the Durham area.

Reviewed May 16, 2011

We ate at this restaurant during graduation weekend and there was a $55 price fixed menu. As we were celebrating our son's graduation, we decided to splurge and our family of five ate here. First of all, they sat us outside, without asking whether that was our preference, and it ended up being quite cold throughout the meal (in retrospect, of course, we should have refused to sit outside). The appetizers were mediocre at best and only those of us who got salads actually finished them. We had several different main courses and none of them were good, The sauteed salmon was more like a slab of salmon with fried breaded strings on top placed over a red sauce that tasted much like ketchup. The cod with crab was actually inedible and the roast beef left much to be desired. There was a choice of four desserts, including a fresh berry bowl, warm chocolate tarte, cheesecake and lemon cake with pinenuts. When we asked our not very attentive waiter what he suggested, he told us that the lemon cake was one of the favorites of the evening. Shortly thereafter, we overheard him telling those at another table that "I personally don't really care for the lemon cake". Although technically he may not have contradicted himself, come on! The desserts actually weren't bad, although nothing spectacular and coffee/tea was not included. In sum, if this was Vin Rouge's usual Sunday night early bird
price fixed meal for $15 or $20, then I guess it would have been more acceptable. However, if they are going to charge $55 per person, they should take a little more care in their food preparation, presentation and service. On another note, the night before we ate at Magnolia, which also had a $50 per person minimum, and there, it was worth every penny and exceeded expectations.

2  Thank lauraks
Reviewed April 8, 2011

I have been going to Vin Rouge for the past 2 years and have loved most meals I have gotten here. The brunch is exceptional - this was the first place I visited after my trip to France and was exceptionally pleased with the food. Although the dinner can be rather pricey - there service is always excellent. I would recommend this for a romantic dinner or a delicious Sunday brunch. There is also an outdoor seating area - perfect for summer nights!