“Excellent food, modest setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Vin Rouge

Vin Rouge
Reserve with OpenTable
Vin Rouge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 763 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 9th St.
Description: Vin rouge is a French Bistro. We focus on classic preparations served in a true bistro atmosphere. We have beautiful patio and garden areas for those who prefer to dine outside. Please indicate your preference for dining inside or out. We look forward to serving you at Vin Rouge.
Irvine, CA
“Excellent food, modest setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

My dinner was a joy. The menu is modest, but it's supplements by quite a few specials. I ended up ordering from the specials (a local tomato salad and the daily preparation of sweet breads). Both were excellent and modestly priced. The wine (by the glass list) is exclusively French.

The outdoor seating was pleasant (as was the weather).

Worth a trip if you are in the Durham area.

• Visited June 2011

Durham, North Carolina
“significantly overpriced and very disappointing food and service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

We ate at this restaurant during graduation weekend and there was a $55 price fixed menu. As we were celebrating our son's graduation, we decided to splurge and our family of five ate here. First of all, they sat us outside, without asking whether that was our preference, and it ended up being quite cold throughout the meal (in retrospect, of course, we should have refused to sit outside). The appetizers were mediocre at best and only those of us who got salads actually finished them. We had several different main courses and none of them were good, The sauteed salmon was more like a slab of salmon with fried breaded strings on top placed over a red sauce that tasted much like ketchup. The cod with crab was actually inedible and the roast beef left much to be desired. There was a choice of four desserts, including a fresh berry bowl, warm chocolate tarte, cheesecake and lemon cake with pinenuts. When we asked our not very attentive waiter what he suggested, he told us that the lemon cake was one of the favorites of the evening. Shortly thereafter, we overheard him telling those at another table that "I personally don't really care for the lemon cake". Although technically he may not have contradicted himself, come on! The desserts actually weren't bad, although nothing spectacular and coffee/tea was not included. In sum, if this was Vin Rouge's usual Sunday night early bird
price fixed meal for $15 or $20, then I guess it would have been more acceptable. However, if they are going to charge $55 per person, they should take a little more care in their food preparation, presentation and service. On another note, the night before we ate at Magnolia, which also had a $50 per person minimum, and there, it was worth every penny and exceeded expectations.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank lauraks
Los Angeles, California
“Reliable, delicious food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

I have been going to Vin Rouge for the past 2 years and have loved most meals I have gotten here. The brunch is exceptional - this was the first place I visited after my trip to France and was exceptionally pleased with the food. Although the dinner can be rather pricey - there service is always excellent. I would recommend this for a romantic dinner or a delicious Sunday brunch. There is also an outdoor seating area - perfect for summer nights!

Seattle, Washington
“Excellent wine, food and atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

This was a place always on our short list to go to in Durham, but always seemed to get bumped by another restaurant. It's now on our short list of favorites. When my wife and I arrived, we went to the bar to wait for the couple joining us. The bar tender recommended a couple of excellent wines by the glass, and then proceeded to talk to us in depth about the menu. Very helpful. We took a table on the patio and enjoyed the cool spring night with more wine, fabulous food and okay service. Try the mac and cheese as a shared dish - one order is plenty for a table of four. If you order it for yourself as a main course, plan on having enough for lunch the next day. The entrees are very generous, so on our next visit, I think we'll skip the appetizers, or just order one entree to share. All in all, can't wait to go back.

Portland, Oregon
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

After all the good reviews I read on this site, my husband and I decided to try Vin Rouge. It was not a total loss, but a disappointment. The service was extremely slow. Our waitress just disappeared at long stretches, and it took a long time for our food to arrive. I had the trout amandine, which was good, but I've had better. It was very salty. My husband had the poulet roti, which was bland and flavorless. He is also a beer drinker and found their selection lacking. We thought they would at least have Stella Artois - but no.
The restaurant is also very cramped - we were in the front room. Waitstaff and people from other tables kept bumping into us. Maybe it's not so cramped in the other areas of the restaurant?
We might try them again for brunch, when you can sit outside in nice weather, but not dinner.