“Pops”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Have been to Pops five or six times; after that found it a little bit limiting. The menu change did not do much for us. Nice casual atmosphere, but if there's a wait I'd go up the street to the Brightleaf.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were in town on business and asked our concierge for a dinner spot that had pizza (for one member of our party that lives on pizza). The rest of us didn't want pizza, though, and Pop's was a perfect solution. Pop's is located in a refurbished tobacco warehouse in Durham with an urban loft feel and rustic decor, plenty of cozy booths as well as tables, and a great view into the kitchen and the wood-burning oven.

We started with an antipasti plate that was loaded with house cured meats, pickled veggies, deviled eggs, the most delicious almonds I've ever eaten, hummus, pita wedges, and luscious cheeses. It was almost too much in the way of different flavors but it was all delicious - particularly the meats, cheeses, pickled veggies, and of course, those almonds.

The wine list is fantastic with personal vignettes on each of the winemakers and the vineyard that the wine comes from. I found myself reading the stories to choose my wine rather than my taste preferences. The list is small but wonderful and has a good selection of interesting wines that will suit your entire party.

For dinner (besides the pizza: sausage and pepperoni and good) my friend had the "Chicken Under a Brick" and I had the mussels. Both were delicious. The broth of the mussel dish was slurp the rest of the bowl when your finished good. The server also offered to bring more bread for me to sop it up with but I was already done.

For dessert I had the housemade vanilla bean gelato, it was devine. There are also housemade sorbets on the menu which I was tempted to try (next time!). My friends each had the seasonal crisp (apple) with vanilla bean gelato.

The menu changes regularly and the restaurant tries to source the majority of its ingredients locally (except for all the Italian wines!). I look forward to coming back the next time I'm in Durham!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of dining at Pop's, with the emphasis on pleasure. I was with a group of 20 people for a Friday evening dinner. We arrived for our 7:00 reservation. We were seated promptly and almost immediately water arrived for everyone. I don't think I had to ask once for more water. The staff was very attentive. Our service was the best I've ever had with a large party. I was worried when I learned that we had only one main server, but I was quickly put at ease I realized he was more than qualified for the task. Again, the service was stellar. Everyone's food arrived in a timely manner and was correct and hot (and very tasty). They managed our separate checks spectacularly. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and can't wait until our next visit.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Get the mussels!! You must also try the brick chicken with oyster mushroom risotto it is so good! The service is usually ok but nothing great hence my 4 stars instead of 5. Try your best to save some room for dessert because their fresh crisps are great. Reservation are smart because they can get very busy very quickly. Our new favorite in Durham!

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The food was delicious! I had the pork and it melted in my mouth, best I have had in a very long time. We are new to the area and will add Pop's to our list of favorites!