“Great Meal”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Fort Worth, Texas
“Great Meal”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I loved the shrimp risotto and Caesar salad. I asked for light dressing and it was perfect. The risotto was rich and creamy. My friend had the soup of the day and seared scallops and she loved her meal also.

Visited October 2012

London, United Kingdom
“great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Really enjoyed eating here with a large group of friends and colleagues. The calamari and the fried green tomato salad were delicious! I'd have liked to have a choice of more US wine on the menu- many of us visiting from Europe want to sample local food and drink!

Visited September 2012
“I had such high hopes”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I had been hearing so much from friends about this restaurant. I have been really impressed with many of the restaurants that have popped up as part of the revitalization of Durham. I feel like this restaurant though is poorly planned and executed. I went with a group of four people on a Saturday night and three of us left disappointed.

Let me just say that I often feel that the bathrooms say a lot about a restaurant and I was shocked to find a bathroom that I might find about a mile away in a campus dormitory.

Bright Spots
- Location
- Baked Gnocchi - Very good, makes me dream of snowy winter nights. Be forewarned it is in a thick cheese sauce that isn't specified on the menu.

Low Lights
Service - Waitress was great, but the bartenders were surprisingly short with us considering it is the South and the bar was empty.

Dishes - Meatballs - Lacking of flavor, well, except salt... lot's of that
- Risotto - Split decision here. For me, I really appreciate a rich and creamy risotto. This risotto though was lacking in both creaminess and flavor. I really wonder what type of rice was used in the Risotto and the technique. One individual at the table did claim that it was his favorite dish at the restaurant, so it was two to one against the risotto.
- Pop’s Famous Salty Egg and Prosciutto - Excellent in flavor and concept, terrible plating. Since they want you to break the egg yolk, the pizza is uncut. The dish though is curved and the size of the pizza. In addition, they give you a steak knife to try and cut your pizza. With some simple changes this could awesome all around.

• Visited September 2012
Bradenton, Florida
“Food was great-noise level not so great”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We were a party of 4, all ordered different entrees and then sampled. My NC shrimp risotto was delicious! Al dente, lots of shrimp, very well prepared. The special sweet potato ravioli were very good, but too sweet for my taste. The gnocchi were very authentic, light and creamy. A huge hit with all of us. Finally the pork tenderloin [out of osso buco] was very moist and flavorful, served over creamy polenta with broccolini- a little skimpy on the portion for that dish. Meat was not quite as tender as we would have liked, but overall a very good dish. We tried 2 desserts, homemade sorbetto and a chocolate lava cake. Both were excellent! Server was adequate, but things seemed to be off pace, maybe the fault of the kitchen - our salads were delivered before the calamari appetizer. Bread server came early, but would have been appreciated later in the meal.

We found the noise level difficult to ignore. Trying to have conversation was not easy- but we had a few laughs about being misunderstood! Wish they would add some textiles or other method to reduce the noise level and echo.

Overall, a very pleasant meal and we would try it again, but maybe not at such a busy time.

• Visited September 2012
State College, Pennsylvania
“Pleasant dining spot in downtown Durham”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Pop's benefits from its location in downtown Durham, close to the old tobacco warehouses and outbuildings that constitute the architectural heart of the city. (It is also not too far from the Durham Bulls' baseball stadium, in case you are looking for something to do after dinner.) The script of the "Pop's" logo on the neon sign outside the restaurant is in such a fancy script that it's difficult to make out the word "Pop's"; but if that doesn't bother the restaurant's proprietors, then it doesn't bother me. The word "trattoria" underneath is perfectly distinguishable, however, and the restaurant certainly fits the definition, as a pleasant and down-to-earth restaurant serving light Italian cuisine. The decor was relaxing, and the service was prompt and courteous. I had the chicken under a brick, and found it to be tasty and well-prepared, tender on the inside with crispy skin on the outside. The wine list is quite good as well, and I enjoyed the crisp for dessert. Ordinarily, when in the state of North Carolina, I immediately make my way to the nearest barbecue restaurant and avoid all other varieties of cuisine; but Pop's is a fine place, and if I lived in Durham and wanted something other than barbecue, I'm sure I would make my way back to Pop's.

Visited August 2012