“Cozy ambience and fine food and service”
Review of Nana's Restaurant

Nana's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Nana's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 765 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: James St.
Dallas, Texas
“Cozy ambience and fine food and service”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

The walls of Nana's are eggplant and ochre and burnt orange. White tablecloths. Colorful art on the walls. Think California modern décor.

Service was always prompt, efficient, really on target. My duck might have been slightly less cooked than I would like but it was tasty and the tomato/mozzarella salad was an inspired innovative version of that standard.

The food is not San Francisco/New York/Los Angeles sophisticated. But who cares? This is a solid choice in a smaller market. Nice job.

Durham, North Carolina
“Disappointing - expecting something special”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I was taken out by some friends for the evening. This was my first visit. I was hoping that it be on the same level as the now closed Magnolia Grill (so sad). Not even close. The service was good - maybe a bit too much attention. The waiter suggested the Pork loin. It was a Mexican inspired dish - not their usual thing. It was so tough I could barely get the sharp knife through it. Plus it was about half fat. I wish I had sent it back, but since I was a guest, I didn't. My friend's meals (Salmon and a whitefish) were average. I did like the corn and mussel chowder that I got as an appetizer. The menu was limited, perhaps because it was summer and the students weren't back in town yet.
I had heard that the restaurant was noisy but this was not the case. They have it partitioned into several rooms. The ambiance was nice.
I suppose I should give it another try. It was certainly not worth the prices.

1 Thank Occasionalhoteluser
Beckley, West Virginia, United States
“one of Durham's best”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Small parking area, but with free valet.
Interior dark, clubby.
Our server Judah was friendly, helpful.
My wife ordered two appetizers, the heirloom tomatoes with mozzarella and crab cakes as her meal. Both were good, and the crab cakes did not appear to have a bit of bread stuffing - entirely crab meat. My mother had the snapper over vegetables and I had the pork chop with a chile relleno. Both were good as well.
We have eaten here many times before and no doubt will be back.

Durham, North Carolina
“Absolutely worth all of the kudos”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

You would never have known that the restaurant made the national news for having flooded during our monsoon rains earlier in the week. It's a lovely place, with an interesting combination of flavors on the menu, and the BEST DUCK I've ever had (not tough, greasy or gamey). Excellent service. Wine wasn't the greatest (a little too young) but it was our choice.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank RobinL270
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“One of Durham's best”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We dine at Nana's less than I would like, but we needed to seat six of us before an American Dance Festival performance, so this made good sense. The meal was outstanding, as was the service, and surprisingly affordable. Plus there was no issue with adapting recipes for vegetarians or making a small plate out of an entree. We will go back more often.

• Visited July 2014