“THE Place for New Years”
Review of Nana's Restaurant

Nana's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Nana's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 782 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: James St.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My dad and I decided to go out to a special restaurant for New Year's Eve and there was no question about which restaurant we would go to. Nana's had a special menu for New Year's Eve that was a full five course meal. When the first appetizer came out and it was small, I was worried but one bite and I was sold. And thank goodness it was small because by the end of the entire meal I was completely full and loving the large array of food that we had. Each selection was savory and an excellent complement to the others. The desserts where an excellent selection to end the night off with. They had choices for the larger dishes and each one sounded so good, it was difficult to choose.

You need a reservation for New Years. They were completely full so I doubt if you can just show up and hope for a seat.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

Received a friendly reception
Warm colors with modem art displayed on the walls

All of the wait staff were VERY prompt and attentive of the guest needs

Food and beverage selections:
Pali “Rivera” Pinot Noir

Handmade Fettuccine with middle neck clams in fresh tomato ragu
Risotto with white shrimp, pepperoni and english peas in Grana Padana

Red Snapper over beans, field greens, baby artichokes in a caper broth
Grilled leg venison over kale, fennel and red onions in caramelized cranberry sauce

Pumpkin spice cheesecake with bourbon pecans
Honey-almond tart with cranberry-orange compote

My niece will be going to Duke PA school. I will return here

1  Thank Flounder B
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Recently we had a special occasion in our family, we were taking the prospective in-laws to dinner. We had heard when you wanted a special meal, Nana’s is the place to go, we heard right. While maybe a little pricey, the quality of the food was excellent. (The new mother in law to be still raves about the Risotto). Not one of our party of six was disappointed. The wine list was fantastic, and the desserts to die for. While we had a large (6) party, it is also a nice lace for a romantic dinner for two. We recommend Nana’s to anyone who wants a special dinner in Durham.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

The food was very good (the steak was rather tough but the "iron pan" chicken was rapturous), the service was fine despite how crowded it was. Parking has been a problem in the past but they have instituted a free valet parking service which eliminates that frustrating issue. Prices are high but not outrageous. The staff was efficient and service was prompt. I can't mark them down on their menu. But the reason I have to revisit my previous 5 star review and change it to 4 has to do with the wine.

My husband and I are as interested in the wine as the food, and we always make a point of looking at the online wine list before we go to any restaurant. That way, if we don't see something we'd like to try, we bring our own wine. Seeing some interesting choices and good prices, we picked wines for our party in advance so we wouldn't have to waste time perusing the list at the restaurant, and could get right down to catching up with friends. The advance planning was for naught, however, because the wine list had changed. Dramatically. Not a single wine we picked was available. Our waiter was notably unsympathetic and did his best to try and convince us that it really wasn't a problem that the $45 rose brut champagne we had wanted to order wasn't available, but could easily be replaced by the $65 non-rose bottle. Same with the red: we had chosen a beautiful Rioja, but the only Rioja currently served was not as good and on the "by the glass" menu only. When I pointed out that the list online was completely inaccurate, he told me that "our wine list changes once a week, we couldn't possibly keep it updated". I said that a restaurant of this caliber had a responsibility to do just that. He blew me off and said he'd pass along the comment.

UNACCEPTABLE. I have a website, it takes 15 minutes to update if it's done regularly. If Nana's can't devote resources to keeping their website wine list more accurate, then they should say something like, "Nana's stocks red, white, and sparkling wines from the major world regions, across the spectrum of price points. If you are interested in seeing our current wine list, [do this]." It wouldn't take much effort at all.

Chef/owner Scott Howell has been honored by the James Beard Foundation. He's been written up in "Food and Wine" and other great culinary magazines. Nana's website advertises that their wine list has won an Award of Excellence from "Wine Spectator" magazine. They obviously care that customers have a good selection of wines to go with their fine foods. Keeping a seriously outdated list on the website plays a "bait and switch" with customers who care about wine, too, and that made us unhappy, and that's why Nana's lost a star with us.

2  Thank EllenRN
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Nana's has great atmosphere, with local art on the walls and not too noisy for a busy Friday nite. Service was good. Waitress was very knowledgeable about the specials, wines and menu in general. Wife had fois-gras appetizer and I had the gravlax. Both were very tasty. My wife had the roasted chicken w/ brussel sprouts, fingerling potatoes and onions and she raved about it, even the next day as she had the leftovers for lunch. The fly in the ointment was my entree, the NY strip steak. Flavorful and properly prepared. The downside was that it was one of the toughest pieces of meat I've ever eaten. I was able to finish about 2/3 of it, thinking that I just had a tough end and hoping there was a tender portion, at least. Not so however, so I gave up. There was gristle in the steak that I could not even cut with the knife. Now, I know that Nana's is not a steakhouse, however-why offer this on the menu for $29.99 and serve meat that would be scrapped in the trash at Golden Corral? I told the waitress, who apologized and wished I had told her earlier so she could get me something else. This could have been a new favorite restaurant, but please Nana's, serving meat like that ruined it for me. Even though I struggled to eat 2/3 of it, I believe you should have refunded the price, even though this would not have made the experience OK.

2  Thank Jimmy49463