“My favorite restaurant in a foodie town”
Review of Nana's Restaurant

Nana's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Nana's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 784 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: James St.
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I'll make it easy: you give me an unlimited budget and tell me to pick the restaurant in Durham, and I will pick Nana's. Their menu always has a perfect blend of the familiar and adventurous. Their wine list is one of the best selected in the city (which is different from being the biggest), the staff are all pros and the bar is a great place to meet friends for a drink (that often leads to making a night of it with dinner).

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Warm welcoming, inventive food and a sommelier who knew what he was talking about. What more can one ask for?

Reviewed January 18, 2013

In December my husband and I went to Nana’s to escape the hustle and bustle of the holidays. The atmosphere was calm, the staff attentive, and the surroundings pleasantly contemporary. It deserves its popular acclaim, for its menus are up-to-date and changed weekly, and it has an extensive wine list. Plan on spending several minutes reading the wine list.

We each chose a different wine – a Pinot Gris and a Rhone wine, by the glass. Nana’s offers a good selection of wine by the glass, either 3 oz. or 5 oz. Be aware that if you don’t specify which size, you will be served the 5 oz. which is generally preferred.

We both had a generous beet salad that was full of many ingredients, including goat cheese and nuts. My main course was the quail in an excellent red wine reduction sauce, served with a generous mix of vegetables. I cleaned my plate except for the bones! My husband’s salmon was perfectly grilled, and no crumbs were left. We thoroughly enjoyed our pleasant and peaceful evening.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We hadn't been to Nana's in a long time--there are so many good restaurants in Durham now that we don't repeat any very often. But we thought it would make a great anniversary venue, since we also ate there on our first anniversary many years ago. We were not disappointed. The food was impeccably prepared, the service was excellent, and it was actually quiet in our room--a surprise, given that every table was occupied. So we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and vowed to return more often. A couple of observations, though. There is a vaguely musty smell in the building, no doubt due to the ongoing troubles with drainage in the area, and definitely not the fault of the restaurant. And the menu seems to have become quite comfortable in the locally-sourced, gourmet comfort food vein--we would like to see a bit more inventiveness.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

The dining in Durham is damnable, according to the warnings I've heard; prior to our December, 2012 visit, we were repeatedly advised to seek our evening repasts in nearby (and snootier) Chapel Hill. But with Trip Advisor's reliable rankings as our guide, we decided to buck the received wisdom, and selected Nana's. I am most grateful to Trip Advisor's able contributors for this sage advice. I've been fortunate to have traveled all over the world in a career spanning four decades; I've dined in the top restaurants of Madrid, Zurich, Paris, San Francisco, New York City, and many more. I do not say this lightly: Nana's can play ball in the big leagues, and it's not to be missed. My wife ordered salmon, which was cooked precisely as requested, fresh as could be, and flat-out delicious; ditto for the scrumptious steak I ordered. But the take-home memory for me was an astoundingly delicious salad... a joyous tour of astounding, mouth-watering tastes, including smoked rabbit and sautéed beets. The service was attentive without being intrusive and devoid, thankfully, of obsequious gratuity-mongering ("Hi! My name is Zachary, I'll be your waiter tonight, and you'll leave me a big tip!"). When the wine cellar proved to have run short of the Willamette Valley Pinot Noir I ordered, the sommelier returned to offer a much more expensive (and much better) wine at the same price. The dining rooms are modestly-sized, helping to keep the noise level to tolerable levels, and beautifully decorated, with interesting, original art on the walls. My top recommendation.

2  Thank U-VaProf