“Fullsteam”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fullsteam Brewery

Fullsteam Brewery
Ranked #44 of 763 Restaurants in Durham
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Chicago, Illinois
“Fullsteam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

http://www.fullsteam.ag/beer/ "Fullsteam’s mission is create a distinctly Southern beer style that celebrates the culinary and agricultural heritage of the South." This brewery is a destination, a place to embrace and enjoy the very best in what's happening with the evolving world of craft beers. We loved Rocket Science IPA, Cack-a-Lacky ginger pale ale, Summer Basil and Working Man's Lunch brown ale. Perfection, each one. We hope they started bottling and then supplying the Chicagoland area!! (hint, hint)

• Visited May 2013

Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Great Brews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

To have me coming back two weekends in a row is saying something... I really like your beer! We went on a tour back a few weekends ago and had such a great time we opted to come back the following weekend. Their beers are GOOD. Flavorfulllllllll and using a bunch of funky ingredients including Virginia Sweet Grass and Rhubarb... Chocolate from Escazu... the whole principle behind their idea to use the "scraps" or food products that the farms, business' would usually toss behind is brilliant and it makes it that much more eco friendly and appealing!

Sean, the owner, was incredibly personable and it was one of the best brewery tours we have been on! He answered all our questions, he wasn't the least bit pretentious, and you could tell he REALLY loves what he does. We sampled a lot of their beers and I can't name a single one I didn't enjoy!

The space is open and inviting, the bar long, and the serve cheese and chocolate all the time. They are located next to Motorco and also get a great amount of "drive bys" from various local food trucks. I really can't think of a better place to spend a weekend.

This is now becoming our new local fav. Thanks, Fullsteam! See you again soon! :)

Also... this place IS dog friendly - double score!

Visited April 2013
The Woodlands, Texas
“Brewery pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is worth a visit if you like beer. They have a tavern attached to the brewery. They have their beer on draft plus a few guest taps. The bar area is closed off and they have a room outside of it with live music. Just snacks to eat. The beer is really good and they sell growlers of certain ones. It is worth the stop if you are in Durham and want to try a local microbrew.

• Visited March 2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
“BYO-Food to this Bar where they Do BEER and Do It Well”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Rebirth of Downtown Durham continues ......
An opposite twist on places that serve food and let you BYOB, this place serves BEER and let's you bring your own food (as well as your dog and your children from what I could see; truly a community-friendly establishment!). There is a cozy little bar area where you can hear the conversation of your table-mates, and there is a partitioned area for ping-pong and game machines; but the main area where the stage is located is a big warehouse-style space with reclaimed orange industrial picnic tables where you can spread out your own food to enjoy with the house beer. I joined a Meetup group here once, as well as the Couch Surfers group for a potluck picnic. It was a little hard to talk over the music but we found the corner gave the best of both worlds: we could have conversations while still having the music.
I drank and enjoyed the Working Man's Lunch and found it in my opinion similar to Murphy's Stout and it was perfect with the aromatic corned-beef on brown bread we brought in for St. Patty's Day. A fellow reviewer described Working Man this way: "This is their tribute to the South's RC Cola and Moon Pie heritage. They don't list the style but it appears to be a porter with some vanilla and chocolate additions".
This area of Durham, while still on the fringes of seediness, is sooo urban cool; especially fun when there is a street event like the Food Truck Rodeo or Saturday Farmer's Market.

• Visited March 2013
Asheville, North Carolina
“The little brewery that could.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I am shocked that I am only the second person to review Fullsteam Brewery here. I imagine that will soon change, as Fullsteam was mentioned in a recent NY Times profile of Durham, and in my opinion this place deserves to be a great success. Speaking as the huge craft beer geek that I am, I must say I really was delighted by Fullsteam and what they have going on there. They try to source out local ingredients and add them to their recipes in new and wondrous ways, like for example the sweet potato lager made from local produce.

This is a boutique, artisanal microbrewery that will greatly appeal to people with adventurous palates. I sampled six different beers on tap there, in every style imaginable, a white wheat to a double IPA to a hickory-smoked porter, and each one was excellent. The place itself has that raw brick industrial-chic feel of a lot of old buildings in Durham that used to be something else. The bar is cozy, with funky decor and lots of attention to detail in unexpected places. This place gets packed on the weekends, lots of undergrads as well as locals, but mainly a student type of vibe. Just a great, vibrant energy to the place, and a brewmaster who brings creativity and an inspired imagination to every single batch of beer, which I truly appreciate. Two big thumbs up.

• Visited November 2012

Been to Fullsteam Brewery? Share your experiences!