“Not my favorite...”

Ranked #1 of 13 Bakeries in Durham
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We came here originally because we thought my was owned by sunrise biscuit kitchen (it's not). I really didnt care for the food and my 8 year old didnt like his doughnut(unsual of course). The store is clean and the atmosphere is nice which is why I rated it higher. We have not been back.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Best donuts ever. They have every kind of donut you can think of made fresh each day. The maple bacon and apple fritter are my favorites but it is very hard to pick just just two. Highly recommend if you have a donut craving, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Be prepared- on the weekends you will stand in an unorganized herd in a small lobby of the bakery. They do have a better organized "take a number" process and will call your number over an intercom system that is connected to speakers outdoors- in case you are claustrophobic.

During the regular week however there doesn't seem to be any crowd at all- probably because it is a bit out of the way from the usual I-40 traffic workflow (sandwiched between Fayetteville Street and 751 by the Southpoint mall).

The food is certainly worth the wait. Daily, they whip up some very tasty and creative new breakfast selections (e.g. House Made Chorizo with Scrambled Egg and Queso Fresco Biscuits, Fried Green Tomato With Pimento Cheese Biscuit, Maple Bacon doughnuts).

Give it a try- I'm confident that this place is going to be in the top 50 Durham selections very soon.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We have been stopping by Rise on a regular basis since they opened, and by & large have enjoyed it. Be warned that the specialty biscuits can be extremely messy - don't try to take anything more difficult than a chicken or sausage biscuit on the drive to work! The doughnuts are delicious and I love experimenting with some of the combinations they offer (though I have not yet dared the maple-bacon log). Now that they've had some time to work out their system, there is generally not a lot of waiting other than for the cooking. They have added a nice nook toward the back for kids to play and a shelf crammed with cookbooks to browse while you wait.

My one caveat that keeps me from awarding a 5: check the meat on your biscuit before leaving. My husband has gotten an undercooked piece of chicken and I have gotten undercooked sausage a couple of times.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is a great little donut and biscuit shop. I am not a fan of donuts at all, but the fried chicken biscuit was terrific, as was the hash brown "pancake" (you eat it out of a paper bag). Good quality tea, too (something I usually don't find in a typical donut shop). Be forewarned, though--the lines are out the door on weekend mornings and there really is no place to sit inside, so you'll have to take your order with you or eat at the tables outside.

Been to Rise Biscuits and Donuts? Share your experiences!