“Very new but off to good start”
Review of Ai Fuji - CLOSED

Ai Fuji
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Fayetteville St.
Description: A fun and relaxing atmosphere, where you can enjoy the exquisite Japanese culture as well as dine on fine cuisine. Ai Fuji Japanese Steakhouse provides excellent service, teppanyaki style hibachi and is one place you just cannot miss out on when your in the mood for great food and fantastic people. Bring your family, friends and business partners out to Ai Fuji and enjoy great Japanese food, Sushi buy one get one free and authentic dining experience.
“Very new but off to good start”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We popped in and tried their hibachi dinner special for two in December. Although there were only four of us seated at the hibachi table, our chef did his full show and was in good spirits. I took my daughter to a different hibachi restaurant later in the month and the chef was dull. Spotted some friends on the way out who seemed to be enjoying the sushi. Don't know if I'd be back without a special or coupon, but I think they're off to a promising start.

Visited December 2012

Durham
“Yummy Japanese”
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I decided to try this place out during their grand opening. I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed by everything. I love that they have the option to sit at a hibachi table for the full experience or you can sit at a private table and order from the menu. The waitress and hibachi cook had excellent customer service. I recently ordered takeout and went to pick the food up with my baby in tow. The staff offered to assist me with my bags to the car. I have never been offered that level of service at a restaurant. The serving portions are well worth the money and the food is so tasty. I am so glad to have quality Japanese so close to where I live without having to settle for express, soggy, bland Japanese food. You must try this place. Your tummy will thank you.

Durham, NC
“Great new hibachi place!”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My family enjoys a good hibachi dinner. We have been regulars at Kanki for several years now, but we are much more likely to go to Ai Fuji in the future. Except for a couple of small service hiccups, we had a fantastic experience.

We had the hibachi dinner, skipping the sushi options for this visit. Our waiter was reasonably prompt in taking our orders, but it was hard to snag his attention if we wanted a drink refill. (To be fair, it was a very busy night.)

Our chef was Andy, and he was fantastic. His schtick was singing snatches of popular songs or asking for requests of artists or groups and he had us laughing the entire time as he prepared our meal with the usual flair. I also felt a camaraderie among the staff that I don't get at Kanki - when another chef was moving back to the kitchen (honking the little bicycle horn that all the carts have) he paused near our table and solemnly declared "Gangnam Style" to prompt Andy to dance and make us all laugh yet again. And we weren't the only table laughing and engaged with the chef.

The food was well prepared and distinctively more flavorful than at Kanki - compared to Ai Fuji, Kanki is nothing but salt, salt, salt. We had more subtle and richer seasoning from soup to rice and everything in between. Andy was also responsive in preparing our steak dishes exactly to order.

The only complaints I would have about our visit were the wait at the table before Andy arrived to begin and our waiter's slow response. Our child was getting tired and we had a difficult time flagging the waiter for our check and then getting the check processed promptly. Hopefully in a few more weeks the waitstaff will have things down and we won't have those gaps.

This is a restaurant for when you want a raucous good time with family and friends and to be entertained and engaged, not for a quiet romantic night. If you are looking for that fun night out with a group, definitely give this place a try.

• Visited December 2012