“Don't judge a book........”
Review of Bonefish Grill

Bonefish Grill
Ranked #126 of 789 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Trying to decide where I wished to dine for my birthday, I narrowed my choices to Thai Palace or Bonefish Grill, (which I had never visited.) The fact that they had Ceviche on the menu as an appetizer swayed me to the Bonefish Grill option, but I actually commented on Facebook that I was choosing "bland chain restaurant food over taste bud popping Thai cuisine." I certainly misspoke on that one. We arrived fairly early in the evening, about 6:00, and were told we would have approximately a 10 minute wait to be seated. It had to be at least 20 minutes before we actually were. Our waiter appeared promptly and we placed our entire meal order immediately, drinks, appetizer, salad and main course. Cucumber Collins, Ceviche, and Kate's Wild North Atlantic Haddock with Feta + Artichokes for me, water, Beet and Goat Cheese Salad, and Pecan Crusted Rainbow Trout for my wife. Drinks were a little slow arriving (the Cucumber Collins was really good and brings out the flavors of seafood well), and there was a substantial delay before we were ever served bread. (the table beside us had actually had their food delivered before bread was offered to be brought to them (I don't know what the issue with this was.) Or appetizers arrived shortly after. I did not try the salad, but my wife raved over it, while the Ceviche was fantastic (among the best I've ever eaten.) There was again a very substantial delay before the main course arrived, but both dishes were world class. The Haddock was better than Haddock I have eaten at Four Square which cost more, and the portion size was perfectly acceptable. For sides we both chose Garlic Potatoes and Green Beans which were cooked and seasoned perfectly. Bottom line.....The service was mediocre, the wait times were ridiculous, but the food was equal to what is offered in the best restaurants in Durham at lower prices. I assume, based on other reviews, we simply had a bad waiter, or they were experiencing uncommon problems the evening we went. Had the service and timing been better, this would have certainly been one of the best dining experiences I've ever had, and based simply on the food, it was. We will certainly be back again and see if the service was a fluke on this visit, but the food alone will bring me back.

1  Thank gtinnc

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Recently opened in Durham, this new Bonefish Grill has not disappointed! The service is outstanding and the food comes out very fast.
The $5 Bang Bang Shrimp and Chicken special on Wednesdays (I don't know how long this will last as it may just be a grand opening promotion) is fantastic! That stuff is good! The Beet & Goat Cheese salad is wonderful and the portion size is just right.
Overall, this Bonefish Grill provides fast, excellent food and outstanding service. Great date night spot as the lighting is low and romantic at night (not so great if you have old eyes though :)

Tip: It is ALWAYS packed so make sure you make a reservation or be prepared to wait. The longest wait that I've had was 45 minutes but it didn't seem like a long time. Parking is somewhat limited also.

1  Thank shuga0293
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Usually in a party, was alone this time so I took a place in the communal table with my kindle against the NFL playing TV.

Great Ahi Tuna, but when alone you can get full just on that. Went with a smaller portion.

Service was good, not pushy and very fast!

Will come again next time..

2  Thank YaronHa
Reviewed December 24, 2012

This Bonefish Grill has just opened. The food is excellent and so is the service. They are great with gluten free diets. However, the music they played while you ate was not great.

1  Thank nursesally
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We were delighted that a Bonefish Grill opened close to home. We've gone to other Bonefishes and they have always been excellent. The new Bonefish was no exception; the food was excellent; portions ample; and the service very nice. The music was way too loud in the bar where we waited for a table. We asked for the quietest table, but even there the music was too loud. We asked our server about it. She said that other guests have complained, but that the management likes it loud. Despite the excellent food, we may not go back unless they offer a quiet night for people like us.