“Very entertaining night”
Review of Mateo Bar De Tapas

Mateo Bar De Tapas
Reserve with OpenTable
Mateo Bar De Tapas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 784 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I would be remiss if I did not start this review off with solid praise for our waitress. She was extremely helpful and seemed very knowledgeable about all of the restaurant's offerings - entrees and drinks. We went for a birthday celebration, so the boisterous atmosphere was just fine. We went really early to avoid the crowds and was glad that we did.
The food was pretty good - there were six in our party, so we were able to order lots of different plates. We enjoyed the mix of local flavors and Spanish foods. I would go back.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

You can believe much of what has already been said about Mateo's. It loud, and it's a fun environment for friends and co-workers to meet. This is not an authentic Tapas restaurant for those traditionalist out there. It is however it's worth the trip no matter where you live. I thought the wait staff was outstanding. Our waiter had a wonderful understanding of the menu, the preparations, and how much we needed to order. He also nailed the wine list, which is in itself impressive. The wine list breaks the country into regions and is priced for any budget. I'd recommend the duck and rice, the chicken croquettes, the ribs, the tomato bread, and the cured ham plate. The tortilla would have been better without the aioli. We also enjoyed the albondigas (meatballs).

Mateo's tapas are classic takes on Spanish tapas influence by Southern ingredients and local food sourcing. If your are expecting tapas like Barcelona, then go to Barcelona. Go to Mateo's for a fun, loud, place to eat some really good Spanish influenced tapas.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

The bulls were in town so a bit difficult to find parking but finally we did. The air is electric, lots of happy people dining. we ordered several plates and they were very yummy as was the wine from Spain. My favorite was the ensalada russe-which varies from place to place, this 1 had the potatoes, trout, trout roe and peas--YUM. second fav was the escalivada-succulent grilled summer veggies with an eggplant puree-I would go back for that alone. The gambas were great and not overcooked. The almejas pequenos-little clams were good, the boiled peanuts were a nice touch.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Went with friends last week, and the 4 of us shared 14 different things on the menu. Everything looked well-prepared and presented, but only two things were really "hits" with this table of foodies (the chickpeas and the ribs). The service was prompt and helpful without rushing us. None of us are "hearty" eaters, but even after sharing 14 items, none of us was full. We all wanted dessert, but it was so incredibly loud in there that we tired of shouting our conversation and walked to another restaurant for dessert. Dinner here ends up being expensive as you must order 3-4 items per person to even come close to feeling like you ate a meal, and the dishes run from $4-$12+ apiece. Glad we tried it as we had a nice time with our friends, but I wouldn't really recommend this place unless you are really, really into tapas and shouting at your tablemates.

1  Thank prov31girl
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Having lived in Spain, I relished the prospect of real Spanish tapas and not just "small plates" that so many restaurants serve under the guise of tapas. Yes, there are some North Carolina additions, but there are plenty of authentic offerings on menu. Noisy, but what tapas bar in Spain is not noisy? Nice choice of Spanish wines and sherries. The one thing that held my review down from excellent was the service. No courtesy, greetings, cordiality, it was like they were doing us a favor by serving us. With the abundance of good wait staff around, they could do better. Pricey, but, hey, what popular restaurant isn't these days. Also, only bread was Pan con Tomate, waiter finally said they "could bring me some bread" after asking for it. I would go back though because the food was great.