“Great Tacos”
Review of NanaTaco

NanaTaco
Ranked #20 of 785 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Relatively new, opened by the same people who run Nana's in Durham, but a different location and very different type of place.
Reviewed August 22, 2014

I recently went here for the first time for lunch. I had the grilled fish tacos and they were wonderful. Fish tacos seem to be either great or really bad, but here they did them really well. The person that took my order was friendly, and I will be back.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

The tacos here aren't limited to the usual fare. That means you can get chorizo tacos, chicken liver tacos, cheek tacos, duck tacos, calamari tacos - the list goes on and does include the usual suspects as well. There are also plenty of other non-taco options, including some nice veggie options, on the menu. The salsa bar is really interesting - includes more than just your run of the mill, poured out of big plastic bottle, variety. The jicama slaw is particularly good!

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Nana Taco is very unique. In the summer, it is a lively open air kind of restaurant - a few steps up from a taco stand that is very reminiscent of Tex Mex in Texas (which I cherish). The food is wonderful and unique. The margaritas are a bit mild but tasty. The fun though, was the crowd. People of all ages, sizes and shapes were enjoying the food and having a good time. We go back as often as we can. Parking is tough though, so be prepared to drive around in circles for a while. I've always thought that was because it was so popular!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I've been to Nana Taco 3 times. Here's what I ordered each time and how it was:
1. Chicken mole: delicious, very enjoyable. It made me want to visit again.
2. Fish tacos: really bad. I was very disappointed and couldn't finish the meal. They should probably remove that item from their menu unless they're willing to improve on it.
3. "Dirty" meat tacos. We ordered from their intriguing "dirty meats" menu for these tacos. Again, I was disappointed. They were OK, but nothing special.
If we ever go back, I'm sticking with the chicken mole only. I'm not particularly fond of the atmosphere. I'm not really sure why this restaurant is so popular. Whenever we go, it is always packed and there are a lot of families and kids. The price is OK, but this is low on my list of restaurants in the area. The rice and beans, which come as a side to most dishes, are also only OK. The chicken mole is the only reason I gave it an average score, and there is a better chicken mole I found in a small restaurant in Chapel Hill (unfortunately, I forget the name). This is much closer to us, though.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I do like Nana's Taco, but in NC they believe putting a lot of hot sauce in the food makes it Tex-Mex. I do like the food but would prefer to spice the food to my heat level. I like hot but not so hot that you only taste the heat after the first bite. My wife says it is not that over powering the spices, but she is a native Texan, so she is use to hot spicy foods. Do give it a try for the taco's.

Been to NanaTaco? Share your experiences!