“Eclectic take on Mexican Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of NanaTaco

NanaTaco
Ranked #18 of 763 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Relatively new, opened by the same people who run Nana's in Durham, but a different location and very different type of place.
Durham, NC
“Eclectic take on Mexican Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is right off University Dr. in Durham near the Q-Shack and Nana's Restaurant. The meat options include things like pork butt and braised beef tongue. A very different spin on Mexican cuisine. I tried the fried calamari and arugula tacos at the recommendation of an employee; very good. There is a salsa bar to spice up your dish if you like. The atomsphere is hip and young. I enjoyed my meal and the company. I will try it again.

• Visited December 2012

“Good variety, affordable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Visited on a Saturday evening and the place was packed. It's a fast casual atmosphere where you order at the counter and they bring your meal to you. The chile relleno was different than what we've had at other places -- one huge pepper stuffed with cheese and deep fried. For variety you can't beat the three tacos plate, where you can select a different meat for each taco. More interesting meats like beef tongue and hog jowels available for the adventurous. My wife said her fish tacos were good as well. Good variety of salsas also. Good for the adventurous eater on a budget.

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Southern Soul in a Taco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Sorry, but I don't want to call this place a mexican restaurant. The tacos are filled with options like chili rubbed pork butt, garlic beef, lamb cheeks, pork bellies and in house made chorizo sausagge. This has me hook line and sinker. Combine great southern food with a mexican flair and you've got my attention. The food is so delicious that after eating lunch my first day, I had to go back the next day. Great value for your money too, around $7 for two tacos, rice, beans, drink and salsa bar. In fact, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I highly recommend the restaurant, but beware that it does get crowded during lunch hours and you may find yourself waiting on a table or sharing a larger one with other patrons.

Atlanta, GA
“Unique mexican experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

NanaTaco isn't a chain taco place, so they've taken the liberty of having some really unique items on the menu. They had at least 15 main options for your taco and they had other menu items as well. They serve beer and margaritas in addition to food. It's a relaxed atmosphere where you order at the counter and they bring your food out when it's ready. It also has that "college" eatery type of feel to it. I highly recommend for something unique to experience.

Rome, Pennsylvania
“Where can we find a restaurant in Durham”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had been to the Museum of Life and Science in Durham, and were looking for a place nearby for supper. Nana Taco is not a large place, in fact, it looks as though it might have been a garage at one time--large window which is garage sized. Our daughter and son in law ordered a spicy Mexican milkshake for us all to sample--delicious. We munched on the taco chips with salsa before our entrees arrived. They were exceptionally tasty, in fact, my husband said that it was the best Mexican food he had ever had. Karin and Adam are vegetarians, so they choose places that provide good vegetarian fare. I found it to be a great choice.

• Visited October 2012

Been to NanaTaco? Share your experiences!