“All I can say is avoid this restaurant”
Review of El Agave Mexican Cuisine - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Just opened about three weeks ago in the building that used to house an O'Brien's rib place.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Went at 7pm on Thurs nite. Restaurant was understaffed and I waited for nearly 10 minutes to get greeted. Nearly all the tables had not been cleaned from previous customers.

I decided not to eat-in at this restaurant because of the service. But because the hotel I stayed in suggested this place for Mexican food, I decided to order take out. After waiting nearly 45 minutes at the bar for the food, I decided to leave and eat elsewhere.

My suggestion is to avoid this restaurant.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

This building is a Golden Corral which became an Oh Brian's then this Mexican place. Given the turnover, we went in with pretty low expectations -- and they were met. The tacos were soggy and the person waiting on us, confused. They may have gotten better since last summer, but we would never go back there again.

1  Thank GeorgeSmart
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We had a very pleasant dinner here. My husband had the beef tips in green sauce and I had the Yolandas and both were excellent. The seasoning were not your standard Tex-Mex. The mole had a hint of cinnamon and cocoa which I have had in traditional Mexican dishes and really enjoyed it. The meals were flavor full without being over whelming. The wait staff were very good.

They were not busy but it was early on a Monday. I hope more people find this restaurant as it's worth having a meal at and return trips. There's plenty of room for large groups and they have a full bar.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Finally a Mexican restaurant that does it RIGHT! I’ve lived in this area for about four years and have been really disappointed with the standard fare Mexican restaurants. I’m from the southwest, and despaired ever finding a restaurant in the Triangle that served anything but tacos, enchiladas and burritos that all taste the same and are submerged in cheese. All of that changed when El Agave moved into the Triangle. Grilling and simmering beef, chicken and pork into a variety of savory flavors takes talent — and El Agave has plenty of it.

My go-to meal is Puerco Asado — grilled pork slices with scallions and avocado. Cooked to perfection and the serving is so generous, I get two meals out of it (and I’m a big guy). My wife’s favorites are the Carnitas en Salsa Verde, a great blend of marinated pork in a verde sauce, and the Pollo Pacifico, grilled chicken breast shrimp with spinach, onions and mushrooms. Yes, at this place you’ll have more than one favorite.

We are there about twice a week and everything we have tried is great! Other dishes not to miss… for those whose tastes tend toward hotter fare, check out the Chile Colorado or Verde (great blend of spices), the Chori Pollo (a chorizo and pineapple dish over a grilled chicken breast), or the Cazuelon (grilled chicken breasts and carne asada steaks). As for the trimmings, the beans and rice are above average, along with fresh salad and tomatoes.

The service is always fantastic; from greeting you at the door to thanking you on your way out. And servers are always friendly and ready to help.

The pricing at El Agave is beyond fare with lunch specials at $5-$8, and dinners ranging mostly around $9 and going to $15 for a plate size that is hard to eat in one sitting. Lastly, you just can’t beat their bar prices with specialties on margaritas and Mexican beers.

So if you are tired of the same old, same old Mexican food, give your taste buds a treat and let your heart skip a few beats from the heat with El Agave Mexican Grill.

2  Thank Bullstraveler
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Enjoyed dining at this Mexican Grill. The house liquor margaritas were very tasty and at $6 each a bargain! Service was prompt, friendly and our waiters spoke fluent English. I mention this since it is sometimes difficult to understand your server in Mexican restaurants in this part of North Carolina. My beef fajitas were delicious, the onions, peppers and tomatoes were well sauteed. (I like them dark brown, almost black). My dining companion had two chicken chimichangas with rice and beans, for only $8! The menu had many options and specials.

The decor was somewhat typical , although the faux "outdoor sky" ceiling was pretty nice. Plenty of parking with wide spaces.

A large deck is under construction (although on the road side of the building).

1  Thank SWDurham