“Excellent Cuban sandwich”

Old Havana Sandwich Shop
Ranked #86 of 789 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We are a living wage, farm to table Cuban restaurant in Downtown Durham, NC. We specialize in locally sourced, pasture-raised slow-roasted pork.
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We were actually going to another restaurant with some friends, but when I saw the sign I did a quick U-turn in the hopes that I would get a good Cuban sandwich. I was not disappointed. The staff were very friendly and talkative, and the sandwiches were excellent. Definitely will go back when I'm in the mood for great Cuban foodd.

1  Thank 612Rick_R

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I really like this place. Very good atmosphere, service and food quality all fine and dandy. Hard to find good cuban around and this place fits the bill. Will go back.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

If you are looking for a great Cuban restaurant with good prices Old Havana is the place. There were 2 of us and we had the Cuban sandwich and the Sampler plate - both were excellent. The pork on the sampler plate was delicious and the sandwich was made with good bread, amazing pork and had just the right amount of mustard. I would definitely go back.

2  Thank DilNJ
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The best Cuban sandwiches are served in Cuba by Cubans. The next best are served wherever expat Cubans with a love for their island's favorite sandwich flock, and, in Durham, that's the Old Havana Sandwich Shop on East Main in downtown Durham. It is not a truly authentic Cuban sandwich, as it uses North Carolina pulled pork, locally sourced, rather than sliced roast pork. But, though that one ingredient is not exactly classic, everything else about the sandwich surely is. In fact, Cuban owner Roberto Copa Matos offers several variations on his Havana sandwich, as well as others. Sides are quite authentic, especially the heavenly Maduros (oven roasted sweet plantains). Their cuban coffee is Bustelo, the household coffee of choice in most Cuban kitchens, and it is prepared perfectly. I enjoyed a sweet, powerful little cafecito, while my wife had a cortadito, basically a cafe city with milk and sugar. Other items on the menu, which we have not tried yet, include Masitas de Puerco Frito (deep-fried pork), white rice with black beans, and croquets. One of the best things is that their menu is not more ambitious than they are willing to deliver, which means the limited menu is ALL they do, and they do it well. The place is in an old store front, a bit loud acoustically, but lively and always friendly. Pretty busy at the peak of the lunch hour. You order at the counter, then pick up your order when it's ready. Each sandwich or meal is made fresh, and to order. All in all, a terrific place to swing by for lunch when you have that craving for a decent Cuban sandwich, and the sides that make this first-generation American, of Cuban parents, nostalgic for the island he grew up on. They are also open for dinner and brunch.

1  Thank Chrisco01
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Outstanding food, service, and experience!! The Cubano de leche is awesome!! I will be visiting this place at least once anytime I come to Durham!!

Been to Old Havana Sandwich Shop? Share your experiences!