“More than lodging....A home away from home (a Gem)”

Duke Tower Suites and Condominiums
Reviewed September 27, 2010

MY husband and I made a trip through the Smoky Mountains, traveled on the Blue Ridge Parkway, stay at an old inn built in 1849, stayed in modern hotels, and reached Durham to attend the Alabama/Duke football game. We had made reservation at the Duke Towers and we more than pleasantly surprised when we checked in to our room. The rooms are great, the landscaping is awesome, everything is well kept and clean, and they even furnished a shuttle to the ballgame. This was a A++++ because there was hardly any place to park on campus and many of the road on campus were closed on game day. The staff was incredible and most helpful. We plan to stay here on our next trip to Durham.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 22, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights for a Duke Alabama football weekend. While it is a very basic room it had all we needed. THe courtyard is very nice and is still a work in process. Pool, shuffle board and other yard games were set up. The kitchen wasequiped with coffer pot, one pot ,one skillet and dishes for 4.. Full size refrug,stove and dishwasher was in the unit. Internet equiped, tv in living room and bed room and lots of towels in the linen closet. The shuttle dropped us off at the stadium and picked us up after the game. It seems like a lot of people stay there for extended lenght of time for medical reasons.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2010

we stayed for 2 nights they don't clean the room supply shampoo or newspaper offer kitchen but no pots or pans.. Must be designed for midgets

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank momsadoc2
DukeTowerGenMgr, General Manager at Duke Tower Suites and Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2010

We appreciate your stay with us. We apologize you were not aware that Duke Tower is an extended stay hotel. We are committed to providing guests with a spacious and enjoyable condo at a more reasonable price than they might pay for one room at a more traditional hotel. Housekeeping services are once a week as indicated on our website and in our guest room information. Guests may also choose additional housekeeping options at a small additional fee. A week’s worth of fresh towels and linens are located in the bathroom closet and more are available to guests at any time by request.

Similar to other extended stay hotels, this is also the reason that newspapers are provided in the Tower Cafe for guest sharing, and amenities are those most used by our visitors including hand soap, dishwashing soap and kitchen essentials, including cooking utensils, dinnerware, and pots and pans located in the drawer below the oven.

We take great pride in quickly responding if we are aware of something with which a guest is not satisfied. We are sorry we did not know of your concerns earlier so that we could have addressed them while you were at our hotel.

Thank you again for staying at Duke Tower.

Reviewed August 18, 2010

I was so very disappointed with this hotel. I thought it was a great deal--kitchen and living room plus bedroom for a great price. I should have known better. The buildings (outside) themselves are cute and maintained. The condo I was in, however was so dated and a borderline dump. (It was not one of their "upgraded" ones and it showed) Internet connection was very spotty. It was fairly clean, but I did not feel safe at all. In fact, I did not sleep AT ALL the night I was there. I moved to another hotel the following day. If you want a kitchen, there are other hotels close to in Durham and close to Duke (Extended Stay type places). Check those out before trying this one.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank GoGirlAZ
DukeTowerGenMgr, General Manager at Duke Tower Suites and Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2010

We appreciate your comments and are sorry to learn you were not pleased with your stay at Duke Tower. We understand from our conversation that you prefer not to stay in courtyard hotels. Many guests feel that the landscaped garden courtyard is one of the hotel’s most outstanding features and it is mentioned again and again in the compliments we receive.

It is very important to us that our guests feel completely at ease and as comfortable at Duke Tower as they do in their own homes. To ensure the safety and the peace of mind of our guests, there are security cameras located throughout the courtyard as well as 24-hour onsite security. At any time day or night, guests can reach the security staff directly through the phone number provided in their rooms.

As you may know, our condominiums are individually owned and guests have a choice of a standard or an upgraded unit. A standard unit, as you selected, is the best value, but does not include the same amenities as the premium units.

We apologize that something may have changed after our conversation to create dissatisfaction with your condominium, especially as you mentioned you were pleased with the cleanliness. We take great pride in every aspect of our property and in quickly responding to an issue if we are aware of something with which a guest is not satisfied.

We do hope that you had an enjoyable stay in Durham and if there is anything more we can do, please call us.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Duke Tower for four months while my husband went through the process of a double lung transplant at Duke Hospital. During such a traumatic time, we needed to stay somewhere that allowed us to focus only on our number one priority: my husband's health. Duke Tower was the perfect place. The staff took care of every concern we had, from the weekly cleaning service, security guards, shuttle service, mail delivery, and the personal attention given to every need. The beautiful courtyard was a place where we could relax, have our little picnics with Firehouse subs, meet other guests, and enjoy the unique quality of the gorgeous landscaping and pool. It's a true treasure. I felt surrounded by friends and family with the support we received during this trying time. The covered walkway is a super plus! Getting exercise has never been so easy! We also have never slept so well as we did there - - the tempurpedic king size beds are amazing!! We miss them now! The Internet service kept us connected to friends as well as the hospital which was very important. The premium room with the modern flat screen TV with DVD built in was great in the living room and bedroom. The bedroom was large with two large closets - - perfect for us! All of our clothes fit perfectly in the closets and dressers. We were very happy and comfortable at Duke Tower and will return whenever we come to Duham!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2010

Duke Towers is a wonderful place to stay, especially if you are a patient getting treatment at the Duke Medical Center. If need a long-term place to stay, I know of no place better. As far as the physical amenities, Duke Tower is humble and unpretentious. It's quiet, clean, and traditional. If you're looking for fine granite countertops, exquisite Spanish tiles, and the latest juice machine in your room, then go somewhere else. You obviously have other priorities, and this is not the place for you. If, on the other hand, you want to stay somewhere that is comfortable, has everything you need at an affordable rate, and has a laid-back and unassuming charm, then come to Duke Towers. More importantly, if you want to stay somewhere where the staff are wonderfully courteous, sincere in their concern, and compassionate to your needs while you're in treatment, then definitely come here for your stay.

You see, it's the staff that is getting my five star rating. They have been immeasurably helpful to me. They are genuine in their concern for me and their desire to help me out. I have asked for many unusual favors, and they have filled every one with a smile on their face and a hand extended to mine to help me. I am at Duke for a 7 week treatment for brain cancer. I'm away from my home and family, and all of the staff have made me feel like a guest in their home. They have no idea how comfortable and at ease they have made me feel, and I'm grateful to them. I wouldn't stay anywhere else for any price or for any amenity. The service is genuine here.

One more thing...please tip the shuttle drivers. I'm appalled at the number of people I've ridden the shuttle with who get off without so much as a thank you. These drivers go out of their way to get you to your medical appointments on time, and try pick you up as quick as possible. Would it kill you to give them a couple of bucks to let them, know they are appreciated?

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Duke Tower is a hidden gem in Durham. Take an old cotton mill, convert the buildings to one bedroom, fully furnished condos, add a pool, courtyard garden, and cafe (continental breakfast) in the old tower, and you have Duke Tower Condos. This is the second year we have stayed at this property for the summer while attending classes at Duke University. The property is located close to downtown (walking distance to Brightleaf Square and a variety of restaurants) yet out of the city noise. It is a nice quiet location. For us, being a pet friendly hotel is also a plus. Bikes are available to rent to explore the American Tabbacco Trail or the bike trail right across the street from the property. The temper-pedic matress is a definite nice touch (like the one I have at home). The premium suites have flat panel HDTVs, wired internet, and indivdual telephone numbers with message capabilities for each suite. I haven't stayed in a standard suite so I can't comment on them. Maid service cleans the units and restocks linens and towels weekly . Mgmt and staff are very friendly. Shuttle services are available to Duke University and locations close to the property. This quaint property is well worth the price.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business