“Great place for our wedding guests!”

Duke Tower Suites and Condominiums
Reviewed January 16, 2010

My husband and I both attended grad school at Duke, and we held our August 2008 wedding in Durham. We had a lot of family and friends coming in from all over the country, and we wanted to make sure they were comfy and had some amenities. Duke Towers worked perfectly. The awesome pool area gave everyone a great place to escape the NC summer heat, and everyone loved their rooms. It was easy for us logistically because nearly everyone was in the same place, and our guests were able to stock their fridge with necessities rather than having to eat out all the time. Now that we have moved away from Durham, it will be the place we call home when we come to visit. Thanks so much, Duke Towers, for being so great!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Duke Tower Suites and Condominiums

Reviewed December 24, 2009

I stayed for four months. It was excellent for my purposes: quiet, good for work and relaxation, convenient to Duke's East campus. I used their (geographically limited) transport service to food stores and sometimes to the West Campus. Everyone was very pleasant and helpful, and such small problems as arose, were sorted immediately and without any trouble. The air conditioning and heating worked well; as did the free broadband; the weekly housekeeping service was fine. The laundry was fine: while some of the machines were old, everything worked well. While there were full cooking facilities, as there is no external fan I would not recommend large-scale catering! All in all it represents excellent value for money, and I will return next time I come to Durham

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2009

We stayed here for 9 nights because of a hospital stay at Durham Regional. Our original reservation was for 4, but complications arose and the staff worked around them wonderfully without charging us any kind of fees.. The location was perfect, staff were the friendliest and most flexible I've ever dealt with, the courtyard very pretty. The regular rooms, which consist of a full kitchen, bathroom and livingroom, cost us $72/night for 3 adults with a medical discount, and while the rooms were small, a little dated and the furniture weirdly small - very low counters, tiny toilet, etc., the rooms were also spotless and lacked any kind of smell. I highly, highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2009

My mother stayed for a week in August, when she flew up from FL to have surgery at Duke. I stayed with her for a few days while she was recuperating. The price we paid for a huge bedroom, a bath, kitchen, living/dining room was less than I would have paid for a regular hotel room.

The staff was friendly and very accomodating. We weren't going to know until the day before our original check out date if my mother would need more surgery, and if we'd need the room longer. They were very willing to work with us, and try to minimize room moves for my mom.

The free 24 hours shuttle was very reassuring, particularly if my mom had needed to get back to Duke when I wasn't there. They even shipped stuff home for my mom so she wouldn't have to carry it at a rate that beats what I can get at my local shipping stores.

The facilty was clean, comfortable(especially the beds!), and the pool/gardens area was beautiful and very peaceful. The kitchen was stocked with the tools we needed to be able to cook basic meals instead of having to eat every meal out.

We didn't use them, but they also had bicycles for rent and great information about restaurants and things to do in the area.

The only thing I would have changed was something about the door...periodically it sounded like someone was opening our door. We never figured it out, because we never saw anyone, but we suspect we were hearing someone else closing their door and it was somehow making our door rattle. It wasn't a problem, though. We checked enough to know that no one was out there (I actually felt very safe there, which I don't always feel at hotels.)

All in all, if you have a longer-term stay in the Durham area, or just want to have the flexibility to cook and have more room to spread out, then it is definitely worth a try.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2009

Bottom line is if a kitchen and laundry are important to you then maybe stay here. If not, or you are use to better, than look elsewhere. Cheapest stiff towels possible, cheap living room furniture. The building is old and creaky with single-pain windows so it can be loud. The internet was slow. The bed was decent. The pool is well-maintained, large and warm. The kitchen is fully stocked. The staff is very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
VA_Tech_Hokie, General Manager at Duke Tower Suites and Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2009

We are glad that you liked many things about our hotel, such as the Tempurpedic mattresses, our fully stocked kitchens, our laundry facilities and our pool, but disappointed you gave it a lower overall rating. May I suggest that next time you move to one of our Premium Suites, which are only $10 more per night and well worth it. We have upgraded furniture, Pergo flooring, flat-screen TVs with HDTV, upgraded bathrooms with walk-in showers and many other smaller improvements. However, our staff will remain at the same high level of friendliness regardless of how much you pay!

Reviewed July 18, 2009

I stayed here for two nights, and chose it because I wanted someplace close to downtown with kitchen facilities. I understand each room is investor-owned, and so conditions may vary. My room needed some fresh paint and some general fixing-up: the old AC is very noisy; there were no amenities in the bathroom other than two small bars of soap; and there were long cracks in the bathroom tile. The location is convenient to the farmer's market and the Brightleaf Area, but the property is located on the border between a nice neighborhood and a semi-commercial area that looks largely vacant and rundown.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo

Thank you for staying with us and we are sorry the suite did not meet your expectations. As you state, units are individually owned by investors. Many have been upgraded to Premium Suites, with upgraded furniture, flat-screen TVs, Pergo flooring and walk-in showers. Premium Suites are only $10 more per night and are good value. Other suites are in the process of being upgraded. As for our location, we are next to Trinity Park on one side and the new upscale Trinity Lofts condos on the other. While there are a few vacant buildings in downtown Durham nearby, overall the downtown area has experienced a renaissance. For example, we are right around the corner from the renovated Durham Athletic Park, where the movie "Bull Durham" was filmed, and close to Brightleaf Square, site of more than 25 restaurants.

Reviewed July 7, 2009

This place is a treasure for us. We have stayed there twice and will be staying there often in the next few months as my husband undergoes chemotherapy at Duke Clinics. We stayed at 2 other Durham hotels before discovering Duke Tower Hotel & Condominiums and feel like we have found a home away from home.

It's not fancy or luxurious, but it is very clean, comfortable, cozy and convenient in amenities and location. The memory foam mattresses are super. The gardens were a pleasant surprise. They are beautiful and peaceful with lots of bird feeders. We didn't use the pool, but it looks great.

The best part of the place is the staff. Both the office staff and the shuttle drivers are warm, friendly and compassionate--not to mention accommodating. The office staff over-nighted to my home some vital medical documents that I inadvertently left behind.

I used the shuttle service many times, but especially appreciated it when I had to return to my condo late at night after staying at the medical center with my husband after he had surgery. The laundry facilities were very welcome when our stay was unexpectedly extended.

All in all, I am so pleased to have found DTH&C and highly recommend it to anyone who needs more than just an impersonal hotel room. The medical rate is also a blessing for those dealing with all the financial and emotional stresses of a serious illness. I feel that I got more than I paid for and I don't say that often!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple