“This place is tops!!!”

Duke Tower Suites and Condominiums
Manassas, VA
“This place is tops!!!”
Reviewed December 12, 2008

I came for medical tests at Duke so I got their medical rate of $65 per night. $65 a night bought me a pretty little suite with a full kitchen, wifi, 2 tvs, beds with memory foam mattresses and extra towels. It is a nice walk to Duke University's East campus and to Brightleaf Square which has a great Greek restaurant where we ate both nights. The $65 also covered something money can't buy - truly caring and efficient management. They made us feel like we were honored guests, not just customers. They offer 24 hour free shuttles to the hospital and other places around town. Thank you tripadvisor for helping me find this gem!

• Liked — Excellent management
  • Disliked — liked everything about it
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
A1Chemist
Reviewed September 16, 2008

This place was the best. For the cost of a standard room, we got a great condo with full kitchen, great pool, beautiful garden, fantastic staff that went out of the way to help us.

I definitely suggest you stay here. Better than any of the others for a great price.,

• Liked — staff was excellent
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
u.s.
Reviewed November 5, 2007

Although somewhat removed from the middle of downtown, the location was simply ideal for our purposes on this trip, and it also wasn't an unreasonable walk to Brightleaf Square area restaurants (although it might be more of a walk than some may like). Downtown Durham isn't very large geographically anyway. I suppose some might consider it a bit of a hike to walk to the newly emerging entertainment district near the new ballpark, but I doubt that even that is much more than a half-mile (?). (Incidentally, Tyler's, which is in that part of downtown, is a _great_ craft beer bar for a part of the country just starting to dispel an earlier reputation for being a beer wasteland.)

The major strength of this property is the comfort and convenience of a small apartment-style suite at a very reasonable price ($80/night) for what you get.

The kitchen was adequately equipped for a short term stay, (although it would have been nice to have a few basic cooking staples stocked). We used the kitchen for breakfasts and snacks/drinks, but ate out for our other meals. Were I staying for a longer term and wanting to eat meals in, I would want to have some additional cookware. But for simple meals, what was provided was serviceable.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Security was very visible (although I thought it rather silly to have that big marked Crown Victoria for security to drive around the parking lot!) and we had no concerns about safety in this fairly quiet residential location.

The swimming pool is of a fairly decent size for a hotel pool and well-maintained, and the grounds are attractively landscaped.

I would readily return to this lodging if making a future trip to Durham.

• Liked — location for our specific purpose (may not apply more generally, as it's a bit removed from he rest of downtown), comfort and value
  • Disliked — no major complaints
  • Stayed September 2008
1 Thank nghab
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed July 21, 2007

I stayed at Duke Tower while my daughter attended a couple of basketball camps at Duke University. Our stay was great! The condos are centrally located, so it was easy to get to either I-40 or I-85 without getting lost. We were also central to downtown Durham, which came in handy and about 10 minutes from Duke University (West Campus). There were a lot of little restaurants we discovered just walking in the area around the condo.

It helps to have distinct, separate rooms, because we didn't feel cramped at all. The pool was always clean and the grounds were very well maintained. Upon check-in, we received a lot of great information on things to do in and around Durham. The front desk was always helpful with questions and it was convenient having the stocked linen closet in the bathroom. The housekeepers only came once a week, but we hardly noticed because we didn't run out of anything.

The only complaints I had were the bathroom door would stick when we closed it; the decor was a bit dated; the phone in the bedroom didn't work because the board under the mattress had cut the cord almost all the way through; and one of the beds in our room was really soft and low to the floor. My daughter's only complaint was the air conditioning unit was a bit loud, but I didn't mind it so much.

We will definitely stay here again next year if my daughter decides to go back to basketball camp!

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank senalj
Columbia, SC
Reviewed July 4, 2007

Stayed at the Duke Tower Residential Suites for a single night while bringing my rising high-school Sophomore to Duke for a three week intensive course on nanotechnology. (Yes...I'm bursting with pride over it). Also along for the ride were my wife and twelve-year old.

Just as the name states, the rooms at the DTRS are residential suites. Unlike "suites" common in coroporate hotels, which are stadard hotel rooms with a small divider and a couch, the rooms at DTRS are true suites, with a living room/eating area, a separate, fully functional kitchen and a bedroom replete with a door. Each distinct room in the suite is small but comfortable. My family of four never felt crowded.

The kitchen was spotless and stocked with plates, glasses, utensils and cooking implements. I put the kitchen to good use making a full breakfast in the morning.

The beds are quite comfy, with memory foam mattresses. There is plenty of storage space in the dressers and large closets.

The grounds are quite interesting. All of the rooms surround a large courtyard that contains a very clean pool and a shuffleboard court. Also in the courtyard looms a huge brick tower, which splits the courtyard on half.

We arrived after 5PM, so the office was closed. We followed the instructions taped to the door and called the security guard, who arrived promptly to check us in. The security guard was present all night, so we felt very safe. It was a nice added touch.

(Very) Minor gripes: Bathtub was slow to drain. Wall behind toilet could use some spackle. Decor was a bit dated. Both pieces of art on the walls depicted semi-abstract nudes...(not really a gripe, just felt it was a strange choice to put in a hotel room).

All in all, though, DTRS provides a great value and a very nice experience.

• Liked — Cleanliness, value, bedroom door.
  • Disliked — Low ceiling and odd decor choices.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Cleveland OH
Reviewed December 26, 2006

I stayed here while we were in Durham to visit someone at Duke Medical Center. The rooms are much better than a hotel and the stay was friendly. The cost is very reasonable too.

• Liked — Charming environment, great courtyard, location
  • Disliked — In a residential neighborhood, about 3 blocks from shopping and restaurants
  • Tips/Secrets — There's a discount for longer stays. We didn't qualify for that.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple