“A lovely, serene experience!”

Duke Tower Suites and Condominiums
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I cannot sing the praises of the Duke Towers strongly enough!

The staff were more than friendly and accommodating. They have an on site shuttle service for pick up/drop off at the airport, service to the Duke Hospitals, and if they are available, help with groceries (Durham, regrettably, is very car dependent) for a reasonable fee (Duke patients and airport trips have priority).

The grounds of the complex are like a secluded hacienda, with two stories of condominiums (one bedroom apartments) surrounding a lush garden with nooks and crannies, great division of space, swimming pool. My daughter spent a great deal of time watching birds (cardinals and mockingbirds) chomp from the feeders and feeling the balmy southern breezes drift the scent of gardenia and jasmine. Very restful, serene, and languorous.

The apartments themselves were very clean and well appointed. Be sure to bring your toiletries! The kitchen was clean and in my unit had a microwave, coffee maker ((with filters), dishwasher, fridge and stove (and I think a toaster). There is a dinnerware service for four. Pots and pans: one small saucepan and one medium skillet. I couldn't get the can opener to work, so maybe bring some of your own basics.

Overall, a great travel bargain, with a unique non-hotel homey feel. Perfection!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Four of us stayed for 2 nights at the Duke Towers. We pulled up late at night and were immediately not impressed. The outside is dated and old. The parking lots were also worn down and there was a pile of rubble near our entrance point. The area is borderline safe for Durham as a whole. I wouldn't walk around by myself at night, but during the day- no problem. The inside our our little condo was neat. It was a table, chairs, sofa, tv, kitchenette with refrigerator, average sized bathroom and a small room with 2 double beds. The walls were all white with dated 80's decor, which we really didn't care about. The beds were super comfy! We were all pleasantly surprised by how well we slept. The kitchen comes with a coffee maker but no coffee, so we bought our own. This hotel is more of a place for temporary residency or older folks. We did, however thoroughly enjoy the courtyard area. There is a large pool which is very clean. There was life sized chess!! We brought our own corn hole boards (long story) and enjoyed them outside for a while.

Overall the area is not the best but the inside of the condo is clean and functional with comfy beds. It is close to all of downtown Durham and close to the 9th street area. I would stay here again as it was funky and different.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This place is better than Average but not Very Good. It is clean, well-priced, the staff is good and I didn't mind the dated decor that some have complained about. The Continental breakfast is not very continental -- everything is packaged, from the coffee in a tea bag (see my review of a nearby coffee place, Cocoa Cinnamon, and go there!) to the cellophane muffins. It's housed in the tower and it's worth the walk up the spiral stairs to see the photographs of children working in the mills though. The wifi drove us crazy. It was on and then it wasn't and there were too many sources. I consider this an essential service and this needs to be addressed by the owners.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank abcpastor
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed at this Inn recently for two nites. It is a cheap economy hotel. The room, kitchen and bathroom were most ordinary. The cabinets were cheap and painted white. The bathroom was stocked with towels etc which was helpful. There was no coffee or breakfast available at hotel either. I guess this hotel/condo is useful for someone who is staying for a few weeks. But not if you are staying for a short duration, and if not used to staying in motels. We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Recently, due to an unexpected occurrence in my rental home, my cats and I needed to find a temporary residence for about a week. A friend recommended I call Duke Towers. From the time I arrived, until the day I left, I had nothing but good experiences dealing with the staff. They were more than kind. The room was very clean, the grounds were beautiful, and the location really convenient. The outdoor pool was such a pleasant surprise. I would recommend the Duke Towers to friends and family anytime. Staying at Duke Towers really made what started as a really tough week, turn into a more pleasant week.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank colleendugganrigby
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Best mattress at a hotel ever! Friendly, helpful staff; no stress, low cost shuttle to DPAC; gorgeous pool and grounds. The suite was basic, but very clean with lots of towels. The pool is open late, so we were able to see a show, eat and come back and swim some. The AC worked good and again, the mattress was very comfortable so it was a really good night of sleep.

Room Tip: Should probably go for the upgraded rooms ($10 more) for the better living area TVs, if you are goin...