“Mediocre...”

Backyard BBQ Pit
Ranked #39 of 786 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I certainly hope this isn't the best that North Carolina as to offer for BBQ. I went to this place based on some recommendations from Yelp reviewers. Casting a weary eye on yelp now...

First, the front of the house. Seems like it was setup in somebody's back yard (maybe that's where the name comes from). Disorganized at the counter with inexperienced staff. The whole place is a bit of a mess. Definitely a local yocal type of place... which I'm perfectly fine with, but at least be neat and clean.

Tried the ribs. They were cooked nicely but not much for flavor. Absolutely nothing to write home about here. One yelp reviewer thought their Mac & Cheese was the best anywhere? Really?

Look somewhere else for truly good BBQ.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My wife and I went to this restaurant last Saturday afternoon after reading the reviews on trip advisor. Their web site said they were open until 6:oo PM on Saturdays. We got there about 5:15 and the door was locked. There were three cars in the parking lot when we got there. Those folks found it closed just before we arrived. As we were leaving, we had a hard time getting out of the parking lot because of other cars pulling in. So we decided it must be good when they are open. We went back at lunch time on Monday. The place was packed. It is cafeteria style. You go through the line and tell the server what you want and pay for it at the end of the line. I had read good things about the pulled pork sandwiches and the ribs so we got two sandwiches and an order of ribs. The sandwiches we as good as any I can remember. The ribs were perfectly cooked but they were served from a pan in which they were submerged in a thick, sweet BarBQ sauce. The sauce was too rich (sweet) for my taste and completely overwhelmed the taste of the ribs, not to mention how messy they were to eat. The server was not very friendly or patient. However the cashier was the opposite. He made us feel like we were regulars. If you are near the HWY 55 side of Durham and like great pulled pork sandwiches, I highly recommend the Back Porch.

1  Thank Bruce J
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Probably the worst BBQ I've ever had. Went there today after our hotel recommended it. Arrived at 5:45 with no one there. The food was served at the counter in heat trays. We both had the pulled pork. It was served in styrofoam trays and the meat was pooling in grease and mushy. We ordered the fried okra and collards but they had no collards. The okra was cold and the outside was mushy, not crispy at all. We sat at a table inside with flies throughout. The meat had no smoke flavor but a vinegar baste and the condiments ( bbq sauce) were on a sidebar with no labeling of what it was. Our cole slaw was acceptable. We left throwing three quarters of our food away. Probably one of my worse meals in my dining experience although the people working there were nice. I would totally avoid!

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I was super excited that they were open on the 4th of July. Got takeout for all the amazing BBQ, none of the fuss or mess.
Ribs and pulled pork were great. Really love the NC vinegar sauce. Sides were also yummy. The hush puppies are fantastic and slightly sweet.
The place is not much to look at, but the parking lot is consistently full. That tells you what you need to know. Yum.

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We visited our daughter and she took us. Clean efficient and well organized friendly staff. There was a crowd but the wait time is short. Their BBQ chicken is moist, smoky and has a tangy sauce covering it. Expertly done. There are many sides to choose from. The collard greens and green beans couldn't be better. Price is reasonable. Can't wait to go back on our next visit. I love the plain look of the small building.