“Good Portions of Food”

Backyard BBQ Pit
Ranked #30 of 765 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Phoenix, Arizona
“Good Portions of Food”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I came here for some great Carolina barbecue, but left feeling it was OK. The portions where good size. I had the large barbecue pork plate with fried okra and slaw. I was with a small group of people when we ordered. We sat down and waited for a while with no food in site. The waitress noticed we had not received our food and went to find out where it was. The cashier put it in as "to go" when we said we are dining in. The food arrived thanks to the waitress, but was not as hot as it should have been and the fried okra was a cold. So our experience was so so , probably..

• Visited March 2013

Durham, North Carolina
“Love it!!”
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Backyard BBQ Pit is overall great. My favorite items are the BBQ chicken, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, banana pudding, and Brunswick stew. They have one of the best mac n cheese in th area. Everything is always fresh and you can smell the pit coming up HWY 55. The workers are very friendly and know you after a while. The only downsides...the atmosphere isn't great so I never eat in, the serving size depends on who fixes your plate, they are closed on Sunday and close by 8 pm the other days. It would be great if they were open later or on the weekends. Oh and sometime they run out of stuff, but that's because it's so good!!

NC
“You will be pleasantly surprised.”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and ate here on the way to Southpoint. I had read about this BBQ joint in Bob Garners book. He gave it a very good reference. Well let me tell you it lived up to its reputation. We loved it. The mac and cheese should be call cheese and mac. There is so much cheese it just strings down when you eat it. You'll love it. The BBQ is the way I like it. Not chopped to death and very moist. I'm not one for adding sauce to my BBQif its not needed and I don't think their BBQ needs sauce. You can taste the meat as it is and thats very good. The slaw is also chopped to a very fine consistency much like the way it was done in the old days. Now for the surprise. The brisket came in more of a brown gravy than BBQ sauce. It was so very tender and moist. Just the right amount of fat for me,and very good. I would love to have it with some mashed potatoes and gravy. It takesus about an hour to get there and we will be going back again when we are in the area. They have limited parking and from what I hear you might have to look for parking at lunch time. They serve cafeteria style and everything comes in a takeout tray. Don't go there thinking this is Olive Garden or something like that because it isn't. Its a BBQ joint with signatures on the walls and goodness behind the counter. Have fun and enjoy.

• Visited February 2013
Lenoir, North Carolina
“Very very good bbq and brisket”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Highly recommend this restaurant. We had BBQ and beef brisket, deviled eggs, salad, okra. It was excellent. Wait staff extremely friendly. You won't leave hungry. A great atmosphere as well.

Visited February 2013
Apex
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummmmmmm”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you like non-greasy, great tasting barbeque, and don't need a fancy restaurant ambience, then this is the place for you! Cafeteria style, so you can see what looks good to you....great barbeque (you put on whichever sauce you want), with a choice of sides (altho I always get the sweet potatoes and brunswick stew). What can I say - all of the employees are friendly and the food is great! My husband and some friends have won barbeque competitions and it tastes as good as his (or is it vice-versa?)! Guess I should also confess......I eat here at least once a week!

• Visited January 2013