“Walking with Lemurs...magical!”

103 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Walking with Lemurs...magical!”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We took the Walking with Lemurs tour. It was a magical experience to be so close to these amazing animals with no barriers between us and them. Seeing them in the forest, rather than just in their enclosures, was beautiful too. The guides were very knowledgeable and took us through the experience at a relaxed pace. Reservations are definitely needed. I suggest 3+ weeks ahead if you need specific dates or around holidays.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank hengelhardt1

Raleigh, North Carolina
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Lemur experience”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Toured the Lemur Center yesterday. Our guide, Chris, provided us with lots of good info about why Lemurs are important and how and why they came to Duke. He patiently answere all of our questions. Don't forget to look for the Lemurs in the wild as you exit the parking lot.

Visited April 2014
Geneva, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem in Durham!”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Having been a Duke student, I remembered that Duke had a Primate Center back in the 90s and wondered if it were still there. I discovered that it had a major overhaul and was now just the Duke Lemur Center. Wanting to find something a little different to do on a recent trip back to campus, we visited the Lemur Center and took a tour. The weather was chilly and a little wet, but it was still an enjoyable experience. The staff was knowledgeable and enthusiastic and we learned a lot. My 10 year old fell in love with the mouse lemurs and my 14 year old was kept entertained the whole time, which isn't always easy to do. I commend the work that they are doing at the center and was very impressed with they have made this educational and fun for visitors.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Cathy O
Wilmington, Delaware
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Visit the Lemurs”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

This is a fascinating operation, and houses more lemurs than anyplace else outside of Madigascar. You need to make reservations for are accompanied by a guide. But it was a big hit with both grownups and the 5 year olds.

Visited November 2013
Orlando, Florida
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Worth It Despite the Cold Weather/Indoor Lemurs”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife and I visited the lemur center a few days before the early February blizzard, and it was already pretty cold out. The lemurs are kept inside at any temperature below 45, but I think they're going to be inside more often than not even in slightly warmer temps. Visiting would probably be more fun on a nice day, as you would be able to see more of the lemurs in their outdoor enclosures. On a cooler day, you'll be limited to seeing certain types of lemurs depending on which cages they are inhabiting. However, if your schedule is limited or you are at Duke on a visit from out of town, it's still definitely worth dropping by. Call ahead to make sure there are tours available. The tour itself is pretty extensive and the tour guides are super informative. I'd recommend the tour to anybody.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank brandon1989

Been to Duke Lemur Center? Share your experiences!