“Next time the brunch!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cornwallis
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We were invited to go here for brunch with friends but the dates never worked out so we went on our own to dinner on a Friday night. There was a band. We sat in a room distant from the music but we did notice that the band played at a very acceptable volume. Our food was delicious though we cannot say how authentic it was. We stuck with shredded steak (very nicely spiced) and a pork dish. I also drank a marguerita which was the cocktail du jour. It was a little sweet for me. (Next time I will know to ask for extra squeezes of lime.) But, to get to our title, the brunch menu looked wonderful and we will return for that. This is a very spacious space and the decor is very ordinary.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Located on Hillsborough Road.
Ample parking.
Clean, unpretentious décor.
For appetizers we had the stuffed plantains, the chicharones, and the empanadas. The chicharones were not the cooked intestines that go by that name in Mexico, but rather pork belly. All were good, but the chicharones were the best of the three.
For dinner we had filet mignon, prime rib, and lechon, which was a Cuban pulled pork recipe. Of the three entrees, this was the most authentically Cuban, and the best.
Dinner was chocolate cake.
We'll be back.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We lived in Miami (and ate plenty of Cuban food) for 33 years and could not wait for some authentic Cuban food again. After eating an excellent appetizer, our long awaited entree arrived (our plates were given to another table by accident). The entree's were not what we ordered. After telling the waitress about the mistake she asked the cook if the order was correct and he said it was correct. She then had the owner or manager come over and he insisted it was correct(he didn't know we've been eating Cuban food for 33 years). We ordered shredded steak fried in oil, garlic and lots of onions(Vaca Frita) and received baked or boiled shredded steak in tomato sauce with beans and olives. He then offered us another choice but they were out of Filet's, out of New york Strip steaks, out of onions and it was only 7:45 p.m. and I thought if I ordered a steak he would bring me a hot dog and insist it was a steak! The waitress was very nice and helpful. Hope to find a restaurant that is better "stocked" and knows what they are serving.

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Reopened as Gregoria's Cuban Steakhouse. Wonderful Cuban recipes. The roasted pork, flank steak, fried green plantains, & mashed yuca were a nice break from the more traditional cuisines.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Gregoria's is one of the best couple's dining experiences in Durham, and they have also handled our group dinners (usually 12 to 16 people, and sometimes small children) AMAZINGLY well. The chef has a remarkable "touch" and makes even simple food a great experience. The owner(s) and chef are always checking on customers to make sure everything is perfect.
I am writing this review partially in response to the negative comment before me- The reviewer says that the food was good and that the owner handled a problem for them personally, and at a huge financial loss to himself, bending over backwards to make their experience great. Then, when he is taking time to connect with you personally (which I would consider treating customers like family, but whatever) he says something you disagree with politically about the welfare system, so the restaurant gets one star and a slanderous label? "Bigot"? Really?! That is a highhanded, petty, misleading, abuse of the rating system in my opinion.

Back to the real point: Gregoria's is wonderful, everyone I know who has eaten there has loved it. We were heartbroken when they closed due to a fire in their building last year, and are thrilled that they have reopened in a new space.