“A fine cuban gem a little off the beaten path”
Review of Gregoria's Kitchen - CLOSED

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cornwallis
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The pork belly chicharrones are just decadent and delicious, reasonably priced wine list, excellent beef and pork main courses and fine Mojitos. Located in an old house off 15-501 with minimal parking, it was busy with happy eaters on a Saturday night. Ample portions and good value.

1  Thank dr_odd

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Though some of our food came out only warm, not hot, I would recommend Gregoria's for an authentic, delicious Cuban meal. I would give it another shot if I lived closer. Great menu and great for sharing!

1  Thank Katicita
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We've been to Gregoria's twice in 2 weeks and have not been disappointed. Both times we went on Wednesday night and did their dinner for 2 for $50. This is one of the best kept secrets in the area. My husband and I got 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 2 desserts and a bottle of wine all for $50. Their calamari was pretty good and the platano maduro rellenos (not on the dinner for 2 menu) was also tasty. We've tried most of the entrees on the dinner for 2 menu and my favorite is the grilled skirt steak and my husband's favorite is the pollo a la parilla. The highlight of dinner was the dessert - the flan and tres leche are my favorite. The red wine was also pretty good considering that it was included with our meal. Overall, the atmosphere was really nice, service was attentive without being overbearing and our server gave us good recommendations. We'll definitely be back for a mid-week date night.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is a great quaint little Cuban restaurant in Durham. We chose to sit upstairs as it was more quiet...we were greeted by several people, including the owner and congratulated on being the first couple to sit upstairs in the newly opened space.The food was great, Platano Maduro Rellenos were tasty. The pork tenderloin was tender, Placido's Camarones de Ajo was an interesting and enjoyable mix of shrimp, garlic, wilted arugula and onions. While we didn't enjoy the Seafood Paellia, a couple sitting near us ordered it, had enjoyed it before and we saw what a delectable and generous portion for two it was indeed!
The wait staff is energetic (have to be they run up and down the stairs with EVERYTHING) and so very polite! If you enjoy music they have it downstairs on Friday nights...if you enjoy a more quiet dinner, you can sit upstairs! Reservations help you come in and be seated immediately, rather than having to wait.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

A friend recommended Gregoria's Kitchen, so I made reservations for my wife's birthday. I dropped off flowers and cards early in the day, and they said they would put them on our table. However, when we arrived, they had trouble finding my reservation and had no table set with her flowers. We were seated and when I went to the bathroom I asked about the flowers. By the time I returned, my wife was there and the flowers were delivered while I was gone. That was not what I had envisioned.
As for our meal, the service was good with friendly and attentive staff. The music was overbearingly loud, so we limited our talk to times when the music stopped. That detracted from our celebratory meal together. We took our waiter's advice and ordered the plantains appetizer, which were soggy and disappointing. Also, we ordered the calamari appetizer but sliders arrived. When our waiter returned, we informed him that we didn't order sliders but rather calamari, so he offered to leave the sliders (we assumed no charge) and said he would order our calamari to come out asap. The sliders were good, but then when our bill arrived we were charged for them...they eventually removed the charge. The calamari were good, but a bit too salty for my taste.
Our entree was also recommended by our waiter and was supposedly one of their two top dishes - the flank steak with rice and beans. That dish was mediocre: shredded flank steak (I think, although I wasn't sure) over white rice and black beans. There was some kind of weird smashed biscuit with a little tapanade on top, which made for a strange presentation, and did not add anything to the appearance or taste of the overall dish. The meat was difficult to cut and not particularly tasty. I make a much acclaimed grilled flank steak marinated with olive oil, garlic, and parsley at home, so I'm accustomed to good flank steak. I would have to say mine is much better, and I think most people would agree with me.
The couple who recommended Gregoria's told us that they enjoyed it so much that they went multiple times in the first month they discovered the place. It may have been better then, and I don't imagine we'll be returning anytime soon. If we do go back, we'll remember to take ear plugs. The music sounded authentic (I don't know Cuban music) and was pleasant enough, just way too loud for a small dining room.