“Solid Chinese Spot”

Happy China
Ranked #294 of 785 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed March 8, 2016

If you're looking to get your Asian sensation fix then this is a great spot. The food tastes good and the staff is friendly. It's a cozy little spot in Durham for a quiet night with friends.

Date of visit: March 2016
Write a reviewReviews (68)

Reviewed February 10, 2016

Not a good experience. I went here because it had great reviews and since it was Chinese new year, there would not be any better place to go...nope, I was wrong. When I got there, i was luck enough, or unlucky enough to get the only guy waiter. This waiter had no sense of service. I ordered 3 dishes, Singapore Mei Fun(a spicy dish) ribs and a chicken with vegetable dish, with brown rice. When the meal came, I asked for a plate since everything came a la carte...he looked at me like I was asking a crazy question...he then proceeds to get me a saucer, the kind you put under a teacup, I said, this is all you have...he says, yes, even though my dishes came on a large plate. He never once came by to fill my water glass, so halfway into the meal, I no longer had a drink. The food was mediocre at best but even then, I wanted to take home my leftovers and when I asked for a to-go container, he gave it to me but did not even help me put it in the container. Considering that their food is mediocre, I would imagine they would have good service...no such luck. I would not visit this place again, I would rather eat at a chinese food vendor in a mall. Sorry guys, but being a Chinese restaurant doesn't excuse you from being lazy.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed February 8, 2016

We like all kinds of Chinese cuisine and so far this is the best in the area. Not the usual American chinese fare.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed December 31, 2015 via mobile

Among the limited choices of authentic Chinese food in Durham - Chapel Hill, Happy China stands out above the competition. The good news is this place is very good on its own and would be so even among places in NY, San Francisco etc. Growing up around Chinatown in NYC, I've had my share of the real deal. Happy China won't disappoint --something to be said that the majority of patrons are Asian and seem to know a little about Chinese cuisine. Large selection of familiar dishes in addition to authentic Chinese menu options. I love the pea-shoots, Happy Hunan with wonderful large shrimp and my old Chinatown late night favorite --Chow Fun. Overall a very good authentic Chinese restaurant -best among the options.

Date of visit: January 2016
1  Thank Jamfam18
Reviewed December 25, 2015

We just came back from dinner on Christmas day. Not surprisingly, the restaurant was very busy as most places were closed. There was a long line of people waiting for a table. Fortunately, we had a reservation. Unfortunately there was no one acting as a hostess for about 15 minutes. So reservation or not, everyone just had to stand there. When we were seated, we again were left alone until I stood up and tapped the server on the shoulder and said we would like to order. Our starter dishes started to arrive at the same time as the main dishes. In addition, we did not have plates, eating utensils or napkins. Once again, we had to flag down a waiter to get those. Some people did not get the rice that came with the dishes, despite asking for it several times. The server said "yes, yes" and that was the end of it. On top of that, many of the dishes were mediocre or worse. Dan-dan noodles were virtually indelible; soggy overcooked spaghetti in a bland peanut sauce. Chicken with scallions had soggy vegetables with an odd peppery seasoning. Kung Pao chicken was reportedly also unsatisfactory. The service was clearly disorganized. The restaurant must have known this would be a big day for them, and they were not at all prepared.

Date of visit: December 2015