“disappointed”

Happy China
Ranked #228 of 803 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed August 22, 2014

I went here once before and that had been ok. This time, not so. We ordered take-out:
Eggdrop soup: it felt and tasted like raw egg. I couldn't even eat it
Lettuce wrap: I expected fresh ingredients wrapped in lettuce in four lettuce wraps. Instead I got a bunch of lettuce and what appeared to be leftover tofu with some saucy noodle from the day before cooked up into brown mush.
Crispy chicken with garlic: that was ok
Vegetable Dumplings: GREEN?? Why oh why
on top of this: two of the fortune cookies were missing fortunes.
What an unfortunate meal.
Pickup was fast: only 10 mins. that should have tipped me off.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Wonderful Asian food with ample menu variety . An informal environment with excellent service . All ages welcome. Easy to locate and park.
Able to order "spicy"-or not. Able to order as close to "traditional " food as desired. Noodles,fried rice,soups,vegetables ,fish and meats are outstanding. Prices are reasonable. Take-out service available.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I like this place. Durham has tons of Chinese restaurants now, and most are at least adequate. Happy China stands out because it has many items not seen on the typical menu, e.g., crispy intestines. I am a fairly adventurous eater, so I like trying new things at this restaurant. It is all individually prepared with very fresh ingredients. The dumplings are so amazing -- homemade, not the typical frozen things. And when I ask for extra spicy, they actually make it as it should be. Oh, and parking is plentiful. A side note: the place is fairly empty at lunch time, but they do lots of take-out. Dinner gets much more crowded, but the restaurant is quite large and I have never had to wait for a table more than a few minutes.

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

The atmosphere is more modern than the typical Chinese restaurant in the area. Their selection of foods are great and seem authentic (admittedly, I have never been to China, but defer to friends more in the know). I especially enjoy the miso soup and dumplings. They have a full bar. If in the area and you are wanting Chinese, this is your best pick!

1  Thank LauraelR
Reviewed March 2, 2014

A very nice evening at this very good Asian restaurant. We have been numerous times and keep returning. Quick, friendly service . Excellent food and reasonably priced . One of the most authentic Asian food restaurants in the area . Will accommodate special needs. A bit noisy but not bad. It does a lot of take-out service.

Been to Happy China? Share your experiences!