“Perfectly fine meal”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We were very impressed with our server Matt, who was sweet and eager to please. My husband's pasta was very fresh and the meat sauce was tasty, but not memorable. My hanger steak came with some delicious mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts, but the meat was flavorless and a bit chewy. The wine was young and did not improve as we let it breathe. We left the glass. Overall, I think it would be fine for a quick lunch, but would not consider it for a nice dinner out.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

If imitation is indeed the most sincere form of flattery, the folks at L’Uva can consider themselves…flattered. You know when you go somewhere and can’t wait to get home to try and recreate the meal? This is one of those times. What a wonderful surprise.
Located in the Tobacco complex in downtown Durham, it was a logical alternative choice for a pre-show Durham Performing Arts Center dinner. We’re very happy we made this choice.
It’s a sleek, “industrial” feel restaurant, fairly small, no hard liquor…but a comprehensive beer and wine menu. Our server (Julian) was in my opinion, one of the best we’ve had…anywhere. Friendly, interested, helpful, efficient…and he and his colleagues were spot-on with attentive care.
We started with salads: Parma ham, arugula, granna cheese and wildflower honey, which my wife said was good, but lacking a little oomph in the dressing. Very lightly dressed, and enjoyable, but not spectacular. Mine, on the other hand, was superb. A frisee salad with gorgonzola, roasted pear and lemon-sour cherry vinaigrette. That’s the one I’m making this weekend. It was…terrific.
We opted for small plates next: Butternut squash risotto with spinach, again, not quite as robust as my wife would have liked it, but good. Mine, on the other hand (am I repeating myself?) was superb. Marscapone gnocchi with pork sausage and basil pesto. Outstanding.
Glad we were that we ordered the small plates though ($12 and $14 respectively)…we can’t imagine how big the full plate would be. I thought it only polite to lick my plate. My wife couldn’t finish hers.
We shared an apple tart for dessert; I had an espresso which was served with an almond biscotti. Perfect ending.
One of our new favorites in the triangle, sure to return.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I had not been downtown Durham in a while and asked friends for recommendations of a good restaurant. L'Uva was our choice and a excellent one. Located in an office complex, the restaurant has limited seating available so call ahead. The Italian cuisine and wine choices are again limited but a great variety. Erik, our waiter, was very courteous and helpful with wit and great suggestions. We were early for our reservation, I said it was cool and windy outside, but we were seated quickly and given fresh bread with a cheese plate and an excellent Italian wine. Our meal of squash risotto and pork tenderloins was superb. All this and very reasonable prices. If you are in Durham for a performance at the DPAC, an easy five minute walk across the street into the Crew Building is worth you time and a refreshed palate.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Our family had the antipasto platter, eggs, and a couple other things. Everything was incredibly good, well seasoned, and fresh. Nothing was overly heavy. Service was great. The desserts are to die for.

Good for couples, friends, business or solo.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

We had eaten here once before and decided to make reservations again to dine here before we went to see Wicked at DPAC on May 5th. Again, it was delicious! We sat outside, and even though it was pouring rain, the area is covered, so we didn't get wet. The quality of the food is excellent. The warm bread starter is just the way Italian bread should be - crusty outside and soft inside while still chewy. My husband and I split the caesar salad which had the freshest dressing. I had the gnocchi and he had the lamb bolognese. Even though he ordered the small portion, it was huge and he couldn't finish it all. Nice wine list. We will definitely be back. Be sure to make a reservation ahead of time if something is going on downtown. There was a Durham Bulls game plus Wicked going on the night we went. They turned away so many walk ins we lost track. With the salad, 2 entrees (small portions, but still too big for either of us to finish), and 2 drinks each plus tip, we spent less than $80. Great deal!