“Consistently good food and service”
Review of Geer Street Garden

Geer Street Garden
Ranked #63 of 765 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Durham, NC
“Consistently good food and service”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I have become a devoted fan of Cocoa Cinnamon, the coffeeshop across the street, and as a result have visited Geer Street several times before going over for my chocolate fix. So far we've found the food to be interesting and good and the service almost always prompt and polite.

My husband has found a favorite in the chicken tamales. I've had them once and also like them, though the extra whole pepper on the plate is a bit much. My son has tried their burgers and meatloaf and enjoyed both. I've also had their grilled pimento cheese and loved it. I also liked the spinach salad on the appetizer side, though it could have used a few more oranges to counter the goat cheese.

The waiters are very good with answering questions and keeping tabs on each other's tables. The kitchen staff is very willing to substitute side items or help change a dish for dietary needs. The portions aren't overwhelming, but neither are the prices. We're glad to make it a bit of a habit.

• Visited July 2013

Creedmoor, North Carolina
“Local Gem!”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is a lovely spot for a meal. Try the sweet Corn Soup and the Chicken Tamales. I asked to substitute the sweet potato hash for the black beans and they graciously agreed. Best meal I have had this year! Friends love the grilled pimento cheese. Conveniently located near Motorco and Fullsteam. This is a great local spot!

• Visited July 2013
Durham, North Carolina
“Good vibe, good food”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Second time at Geer St for Saturday lunch. It's around the corner from Motorco and Fullsteam, and up the street from the Farmer's Market.

I had blackened chicken with dirty rice and collards that was memorably good. My wife had a burger and fries, exactly what she wanted. We sat at the bar and bantered with the friendly bartenders.

In short, Geer St Garden is a friendly and easy place for a casual meal with good food, good beers and interesting drinks. We saw young people, old people, singles, couples and families on today's visit. I wish we lived a little closer.

• Visited June 2013
Durham, NC
“Left without ever even ordering”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

5 business-casual-dressed 30-45 YO guys walk in on a lively night and each try to get a beer at the crowded bar independently. After 10 minutes (really, 10 full minutes and then some)watching jaw-droppingingly slow emo-spectacled bartenders not even manage to serve one drink-per-minute each, we all decide to leave and never return. If you can't get a beer into someone's hand within 5 minutes of them trying, you perhaps need to fix something. If you can't do it in 10 minutes, you are in the wrong business. I think I used their toilet while I was there, so it wasn't a total loss. Note to manager: you need to fire your bartenders.

• Visited July 2012
Durham, North Carolina
“Cute patio seating. Maybe my only experience was an off day?”
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

One experience with my husband for a late Saturday lunch. The outdoor seating is lovely. That's my only positive comment. The food was disappointing. I had the veggie sandwich and soggy, cold fries. My husband had the fish tacos. Small portions and overpriced. I would have sent my fries back if my server had stopped at our table after the food arrived. She didn't. Not even once. The guy clearing our table brought our check. With so many great places in Durham, they have to do better. Very disappointed after so many friends have recommended it.

• Visited June 2013