“Fabulous Hampton Inn”

Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85
Ranked #5 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have stayed in at least a half dozen Hampton Inns and I like them for their reliable cleanliness, friendliness, and comfortable beds. So, when I arrived at this brand spanking new Hampton Inn the other day, I wasn't surprised to be met by a predictable Hampton Inn lobby with a smiley and efficient front desk crew and the smell of fresh-baked cookies. When I got to my room, though, is when I was really impressed. Yes, it had the classic crinkly-textured duvet covers, lap desk, basic toiletries comfortable bed, shower with rounded curtain and Water Pik shower head, etc. -- but the room was a huge suite with a kitchenette (refrigerator, microwave, sink), and a comfortable sitting area separated from the sleeping area by a cleverly designed work station with internet port andTV on a swivel stand that can be turned to face the living area or the bedroom area.

The breakfasts were classic Hampton (waffle maker, eggs, turkey sausage, oatmeal, cold cereals and breads/pastries, whole fruit, packaged individual fruit cups, drinks, etc.

Bring your bathing suit -- the pool is actually big enough to swim in. And your workout clothes -- the gym is well-equipped with modern machines.

Staff was friendly and efficient. The hotel is very new and everything seems to be in working order.

Easy on-off I-85 and an easy drive to downtown Durham. Free parking. Less than a half hour from the airport.

My pet peeve with Hampton Inns is that they are not as environmentally friendly as other chains I frequent .... All breakfast plates and bowls are made of styrofoam, utensils are all disposable plastic, there's no recycling in the rooms, the air conditioners are blowing cold air into unoccupied rooms, and the Hampton Inn chain proudly tweeted its followers this weekend that they have put a million Post-its in rooms around the country, announcing that their duvets are washed between guests. How many trees does it take to make a million Post-its?

For a commercial chain in this price bracket, I cannot complain about the service, the amenities, or the comfort of the room.

Room Tip: As far as I could tell, all the rooms seem to be the same size, laid out the same way -- the differe...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85

Reviewed September 28, 2012

A pleasant surprise. The rooms have the "new room smell" which is refreshing. This is a new Hampton. Great service and complementry breakfast with a good assortment of foods. Bed was very comfortable. Room very clean and quiet. Pet friendly at no additional charge. Excellent value. Close to I-85

Room Tip: Use the side entrance close to the elevators if traveling with a lot of luggage.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael V
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Gorgeous hotel, convenient location, brand new hotel! You can tell from the moment you drive in that it will be a lovely place to stay! I'm having surgery tomorrow and needed a place to stay the night before so my doctors office recommended this place. You can tell the employees love working here and are.very friendly and courteous. I plan to stay here for my next 2 surgeries that I'm having.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I am a Hilton Hhonors Diamond member and have stayed at this new property on three different occasions for an extended stay (minimum one week stay). The hotel is brand new but it does not take that aspect for granted. The team is diligent, friendly, and attentive from housekeeping to front desk, and onwards to the night staff. The property is secure and walking distance to a nice restaurant/pub (Tripps), and Northgate Mall. It is obvious the management and staff are doing a fantastic job because this property is constantly running full after only opening just six months ago. Looking forward to my next visit!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 26, 2012

A tripadvisor review led me to this hotel so I wanted to spread the word. Great location convenient to Duke, 9th street and downtown. Easy access from airport. Staff were over the top helpful and polite. Clean, Clean, Clean! There were multiple family visiting Duke or moving their student in the dorms.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lalamoose64
Reviewed August 24, 2012

beds are ultimate comfort, rooms spotless, common areas spotless, exceptional free breakfast every morning (all you can eat, and lots from which to choose), indoor pool, lots of parking, staff very friendly and super accommodating, rates great for AAA or AARP members, business room with working PC, printer (very convenient), all common bathrooms clean, etc. etc.

Room Tip: no tips or tricks here, just stay with Hampton, they do the rest!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LOU631947
John L, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Hello Lou631947,
Thank you so much for taking your time to leave a wonderful review! We are glad to hear that you have really enjoyed the comfortable bed,our breakfast and our business center here.Your comments are very rewarding for our staff here. I will be sharing your comments with our staff here and looking forward to serve you in near future!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

This was an excellent stay for me and my husband. Over sized King room with a walk-in shower, that was not ADA loved it! When traveling to Durham we WILL stay at this hotel again. Location is the best, 10mins from downtown and across the street from shopping and nice upscale resturant "Tripps" I do recommend at least one meal here. Can't wait to return to Durham.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen_S1966

Thank you very much for your great review! We are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed the spacious room and our location here.Looking forward to see you in near future!