“Outrageous combination!!!!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I read of this combination in an article where Gladys Knight's restaurant in Atlanta was mentioned, as well as Rosco's in California. While visiting Durhams for a Bull's game, a storekeeper told me that Durham has some of the best restaurants in the country and that Dame's was a must do if chicken & waffles was on our radar. So away we went to this nondescript storefront in the downtown loop of Durham. The restaurant is not fussy and decoration is minimal. Posters of jazz greats decorate the walls and tables are outfitted with paper table cloths and fat crayons. Condiments are salt & pepper, hot sauce, and maple syrup. We ordered classic waffle with 3 wings and grits. My side choice was mac & cheese. Our smear choice (flavored butter) was orange. What we got was one of my top ten EVER meals. This is an assault of the senses. The combination of spiced (not hot) fried chicken (my new #1) with a pancake like waffle and the sweetness of the syrup is unbelievably delicious. In my wildest dreams I could not have imagined such a great meal. If you are looking for some simple 'real' food, you must go to Dame's. The staff is very pleasant and the prices are friendly. You can't pass this one up.

Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Dames Chicken and Waffle- I will never be back
On Friday April 13, 2013 I visited Dames Chicken and Waffle with my 5 year old daughter .The attendant took my name and advised me that the wait would be 10 minutes. 4 minutes into our wait my daughter informed me that she would like to use the restroom .I asked the attendant if we could use the restroom ;she replied NO ;she stated that we could use the restroom in the adjacent store .I explained that we were on the reservation list ,she objected and pointed out that we were on the Walk in list .I responded “ok you are correct ;but we are not planning to do business with the store next door .She responded then we could use the rest room in another store down the block (she gave me the name of both stores 1st and 2nd store ) .I was even more confused ;at this point my daughter was in obvious discomfort she was began to squeezed my fingers and was crossing her legs and doing a slow “pp” dance .I asked the attendant to remove my name from the list and told her I will with a review about my experience .
We jumped in my car, I drove at breakneck speed to ELMOS Diner .I jumped out and rushed inside .I quickly asked the attendant if we could use the restroom .He replied Certainly PLEASE GO AHEAD .By this time my daughter was doing a fast frantic “pp” dance and screaming Dada- hurry hurry. We rushed to the restroom, after a few seconds stomping ,fidgeting with buttons and zippers ,she gave off screams of relief and Joy that she prevent a catastrophic accident .We composed ourselves and was promptly seated .My daughter had waffles with eggs and I had pancakes coffee ham and eggs. THANK YOU ELMOS DINER (We will be back).
As for Dames Chicken and Waffle I will never be back .I have visited this restaurant (Dames chicken and Waffle) on many occasions in the past. In fact my family and I have made it a fixture when our friends and family visit from out of state .Needles to say I will not forget my daughters question as I speed from the restaurant “DADA WHY DON’T THEY ALLOW KIDS TO USE THE RESTROOM?”
In closing Dames Chicken and Waffle- I will never be back

1  Thank MrsDALH
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We visited Dame's Chicken & waffles downtown Durham on last evening for dinner and was seated immediately and food was served to us in under 15 mins! Everything was great. Atmosphere was good and wait staff were very friendly and attentive to be sure we were well taken care of! I ordered the Carolina Cockrell with a side of grits and it was delicious! While we sat and waited we also saw they sign at reservations can mp be made 24 hours in advance. Price for our 2 meals was right under $25! So if you are looking for gourmet waffles and chicken along with other sides and dishes... This is the place to visit!

2  Thank suga29brown
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I traveled across North Carolina last week and visited a lot of well rated tripadvisor restaurants. So many of them are great but none was more memorable than our visit to Dame's Chicken & Waffles.

The chicken was delicious and the waffle with the "schmear" of your choice was so original and so good. If I could take one restaurant home with me from NC, it would be this one. Awesome. Try the Sweet Potato waffle with Vanilla schmear. Wow. And don't underestimate the chicken.

Last thing: Go very hungry. We were so stuffed and could not even finish our meal.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were a party of 6 with a reservation. They will not seat you unless your entire party is there. 5 of us were inside and 1 person was parking the vehicle because it was raining. They actually let us sit but wouldn't even take our drink order because it was "too hard" to put that order in first without everyone there. Once our sixth diner sat down (a whole 3-4 minutes later) we waited an additional 15 minutes for our drink order to be taken. Among other things we ordered a bottle of red wine. The waitress brings over a bottle of white. We told her that was not what we ordered and pointed it out on the menu. She then brings over an already opened bottle of red. We pointed that out to her and she said "no, it's full". We told her we wanted an unopened bottle. So we see her go behind the bar and try to open another bottle of WHITE! She can't get it so goes to the kitchen. At this point I get who I assume is a manager since she's sitting at a back corner table doing business like things. I ask her to please just get us the right bottle of wine and an opener. She showed the girl the right bottle and we opened it ourselves. The food is amazing. The chicken is perfect on the outside-crispy not oily as well as perfect on the inside-moist and tasty. The waffles are light and fluffy. If you want great comfort food go here. Just don't expect good service.