“Favorite meal I had on our NC tour”

Dame's Chicken & Waffles
Ranked #12 of 791 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I traveled across North Carolina last week and visited a lot of well rated tripadvisor restaurants. So many of them are great but none was more memorable than our visit to Dame's Chicken & Waffles.

The chicken was delicious and the waffle with the "schmear" of your choice was so original and so good. If I could take one restaurant home with me from NC, it would be this one. Awesome. Try the Sweet Potato waffle with Vanilla schmear. Wow. And don't underestimate the chicken.

Last thing: Go very hungry. We were so stuffed and could not even finish our meal.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were a party of 6 with a reservation. They will not seat you unless your entire party is there. 5 of us were inside and 1 person was parking the vehicle because it was raining. They actually let us sit but wouldn't even take our drink order because it was "too hard" to put that order in first without everyone there. Once our sixth diner sat down (a whole 3-4 minutes later) we waited an additional 15 minutes for our drink order to be taken. Among other things we ordered a bottle of red wine. The waitress brings over a bottle of white. We told her that was not what we ordered and pointed it out on the menu. She then brings over an already opened bottle of red. We pointed that out to her and she said "no, it's full". We told her we wanted an unopened bottle. So we see her go behind the bar and try to open another bottle of WHITE! She can't get it so goes to the kitchen. At this point I get who I assume is a manager since she's sitting at a back corner table doing business like things. I ask her to please just get us the right bottle of wine and an opener. She showed the girl the right bottle and we opened it ourselves. The food is amazing. The chicken is perfect on the outside-crispy not oily as well as perfect on the inside-moist and tasty. The waffles are light and fluffy. If you want great comfort food go here. Just don't expect good service.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Love this place. A Durham original. Sometimes a wait on the weekends but always worth it. I always get the clucks.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stopped in and got on the list for a seating (a Sunday afternoon) and it was crowded with many people waiting. Once we got seated (at the bar) it took quite awhile before anyone waited on us. The waitress was helpful answering our questions about the food, but after taking our order she ignored us for close to an hour before we got our food. My order of "Quilted buttercup" was well prepared, but husbands "Frizzled Fowl" was way over cooked & salty and the waffle was way undercooked. We were more than halfway through our meal when our sides were delivered (salad and steam broccoli). People had recommended this restaurant to us but we will not be recommending here to anyone...

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I'm a waffle fanatic and this place does waffles up right as I loved the Gingerbread waffle with vanilla-almond schmer. Their fried chicken is done up very well as it's not the overloaded KFC stuff but just the right amount. Fairly priced, great service, and the wait for a table was worth it.