“So glad we stopped in to eat!”

Dame's Chicken & Waffles
Ranked #11 of 774 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Raleigh,NC
“So glad we stopped in to eat!”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My 8 year old daughter and I were driving down E. Main Street to grab a bite to eat on 9th Street. We drove past Dame's Chicken and Waffles and decided we wanted to try them out! We are so glad we stopped by. It was a Wednesday at 11:30am but we grabbed a table quickly. My husband joined us. My 8 year old is picky so she got the kid's meal of a basic waffle (which is about 10 inches in diameter) with turkey bacon (not pork bacon). I got a fried chicken cutlet on the sweet potato waffle with a maple and some sort of nut smear. My husband got two small blueberry waffles with over easy eggs and sausage that made a huge breakfast sandwich (must use fork and knife to eat). It was the wackiest lunch we have ever eaten but it was SO GOOD! And there are crayons on the table so you can color on the butcher paper that is the tablecloth. There is no acoustic barriers up in the place so it is LOUD. They have jazz music playing softly but you can't hear it over the dozens of people talking and eating. We will definitely go again. So many waffle/chicken/smear combos you can create!

• Visited February 2013

RTP54
“SOOOOO good”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Go there hungry. Great chicken and waffle combos. Food was fast and hot, service great. Get the greens as a side they are by far the best I have ever tasted

Visited November 2012
Durham, North Carolina
“Just too much”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I don't like the combination of waffle and chicken - it's too much food, carbs, ug. I appreciate that they have added some salads but they weren't very creative when I was last there. Service is incredibly slow and I thought it was overpriced for the atmosphere and food. Sorry.

Visited September 2012
Durham, North Carolina
“Good Food”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've always been curious about the small restaurant with customers committed enough to line up along the sidewalk to wait for a table on weekends and holidays. I've eaten there twice on Wednesdays early in the dinner hour, experienced immediate seating, short turnaround time between placing my order and food arriving on the table, plus great execution of playful dishes--chicken and waffles with decent side dishes. The last time I had fruit which included the (naturally) sweetest fresh pineapple I've eaten in recent memory.

• Visited January 2013
Gloucester, Massachusetts, United States
“If there is a wait...WAIT!”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We arrived on a Sunday morning to a crowd patiently waiting their turn to be seated. We gave them our cell phone number and they would call us when our table is ready in approximately one hour. We then stretched our legs to investigate some of the downtown area in Durham. We returned to the restaurant in about 45 minutes and sure enough, our cell phone rang a few minutes later telling us our table was ready.

WHAT A GREAT RESTAURANT. I have never eaten chicken and waffles before. What a pleasant surprise! It is outstanding. Three of us had the Orange Speckled Chabo, A chicken cutlet, a Sweet Potato waffle, drizzled w/ Honey Dijon, Orange-Honeycomb schmear. Another ordered the 'What A Classy Hen, a chicken cutlet, a Classic waffle, Vanilla & Almond Schmear. Also room for a side of chicken wings. There service is warm, friendly and attentive. Just perfect! What a treat. My advice, if there is a wait...WAIT! You will be pleased!!!

• Visited November 2012