“Excellent choice for something different”

Dame's Chicken & Waffles
Ranked #10 of 780 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is the first time we had visited this restaurant. We each ordered something different (3 orders) and we were pleased with all the food. The gingerbread waffle was particularly exceptional! Service was good. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for someone who would like to experience something out of the ordinary.

There are newer reviews for Dame's Chicken & Waffles

Reviewed June 10, 2012

It is a place to experience the worst service. The servants were rude. Did not give us enough chairs we needed. We spent a long time searching for chairs. The food was surprisingly disappointing. The chicken was dry and shrunk as compared to before. The waffles are general and they gave us the wrong ones. Definitely an unforgettable experience and no reason to come again.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

This restaurant gets a lot of hype, and in my opinion, that's what it is. The concept is fine: chicken and waffles. It might sound weird at first, but the combination itself is tasty--just not the execution here.

The waffle was pretty nondescript, and that's what I would expect. It's a bed for the chicken, butter, and syrup.

It was the chicken that most disappointed me. It was deeply encrusted in a hard, almost cement-like breading. In my opinion, fried chicken ought to have a fluffy and penetrable crust. You should not have to have a saw to get to the chicken.

The butter... or shmear, as they call it, was also disappointing. The shmears are described as flavored butters, but they're only mildly flavored... and they suffer from being unsalted, so that what little flavor there is is not amplified.

They offer a range of syrups, but maple is the only one that matters in my opinion.

If I were to do chicken & waffles myself, I'd use a toaster waffle. Again, it's a bed. It plays background. I'd use chicken from either Sunrise Biscuits or TimeOut Biscuits in Chapel Hill, and genuine Canadian or Vermont Maple syrup... and loads of salted butter, preferably whipped.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

The chicken was mediocre--nothing special and the waffles were not crispy and homemade tasting.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

The Food: The waffles and shmears (flavored butters) are to die for. Arriving when they first open also helps. The waffles are so fluffy. The option to choose your waffle or shmear from the chicken and waffle menu is a nice touch. However, the eggs, macaroni and cheese, and grits that we ordered all had a healthy sprinkling of chopped parsley on them. It was parsley overkill. If the purpose of the parsley was meant for garnishment, then it should have been a sprig of fresh parsley so that it could be easily laid to the side. The food is very good and can speak for itself without any help from the parsley. The chicken was crispy, juicy and very good. The chicken seasoning didn't complement the the sweet flavor of the waffle though. The chicken tasted like it was battered in Italian seasoning, better suited for mash potatoes than waffles. I didn't finish the wings I ordered, because the two flavors didn't work well on my palate. A basic salt and pepper batter would have been a better choice for the sweet and salty combination.

The Service: Getting into the restaurant has its challenges. No place to wait inside for a table. Luckily we arrived just as it opened and were seated immediately. We were told that they were understaffed. Many people had to wait outside, while tables sat vacant.

Been to Dame's Chicken & Waffles? Share your experiences!